Philious

Philious
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +
Desktop Pc
My Location
Stoke
I have searched through the forum last night looking for possible solutions to common problems because I recetly installed sky + to my sisters house, she already had an existing sky installation so I installed the extra cable as she is going for freeview in her bedroom and instaled the new quad LNB but the bbc and ITV channels say no satalite reception the signal strength is around 50% but the quality is very low (this is on all three cable lines, 2 sky+ and 1 freeview)
Just wondering if as I have read the new LNB is alot bigger and heavier than the original if the alighment needs attention?
Going to try the simple stuff first, reset and then software update then I'll look at the alighment what do you think??
Also when I install the new LNB it wouldn't fit correctly in the dish could this cause a problem if not prperly secured?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, the LNB should fit properly on the LNB arm. If it is not pointing where the old LNB was you may lose signal.

And as you say, the extra weight of the quad could also pull the arm down a touch.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Also,have you set the skew of the lnb properly ?

Philious

Philious
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +
Desktop Pc
My Location
Stoke
The SKEW??????
whats that!:confused
Unless you are referring to the number scale on the LNB
I guess I might loosen the screw and adjust it to see if the signal improves.
Thanks for that Zorba & Robbo71

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Here in the UK the Skew adjustment is not too critical for Sky, setting it in the middle should work, as there's not a huge amount of adjustment on it anyway. Could you post a picture of you dish, so we can understand what you mean by 'not fitting properly'.

As the Sky LNBs are difficult to 'not fit properly' as they just slot in.

Philious

Philious
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +
Desktop Pc
My Location
Stoke
The dish is a very old mini dish with the single LNB and the new LNB won't just slot in as it did when I installed mine at home, there is no hole for the plastic push screw to go in, having said that you can't get alot of force to push while your at the top of a ladder I was thinking of taking the dish down so I could have a good go at pushing it home.
I will take a picture tomorrow and post it here.
thanks

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I'm not sure, but I think there might be two slightly different types. I may be wrong, someone who sees a lot of Sky dishes will know.

But what I do know is, that if it isn't slotted in properly, the LNB won't be at the focal point, and it will lower the effective elevation of the dish.

Philious

Philious
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +
Desktop Pc
My Location
Stoke
Here is a picture of LNB on the dish arm

It doesn't look any different but the LNB fits different to mine which is a mini dish and the LNB fitted as you say" push on" Thinking of taking it down to secure the LNB then put it back and try adjusting up and down to see if the signal improves maybe at the weekend

Admin edit: IMG code removed as images didn't load

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, Use the Manage Attachments button to upload the pictures as that is the preferred way to do it, and also we can't see the ones you have posted.

Robbo:)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It looks like you have a bit missing, see this picture:-
Like a sleeve thing that goes over the top.

Attachments

• 89318.jpg
    89318.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 73

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Spot on Robbo, the LNb is sitting too far forward. :)

I have a couple somewhere if you need them. :)

PS. Also the slide protector needs pulling down on the LNB. :)

Philious

Philious
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +
Desktop Pc
My Location
Stoke
Yes I have the sleeve's but when I put them on the LNB won't fit into the arm, when I upgraded mine at home it just you say slotted in no trouble. I think I need to take the dish down and try to get the LNB fitted with sleeve so it is at least secure'O'-red
"slide protector " is that where the thumb marks are for grip and you pull it down to protect the conectors Rolf?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You put the sleeve on the LNB first, then push it in, some can be a little tight though, a light brush with glass paper will enable a snug fit. :) Normally the slightly offset one is best for reception.

Yes, the thumb grips pull it down. :)

Philious

Philious
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +
Desktop Pc
My Location
Stoke
Ok thanks guys I'll have a go at the weekend and let you know if I succeed :)

Philious

Philious
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +
Desktop Pc
My Location
Stoke
Sorry posted this in wrong section

update
Took the dish down and fitted the LNB securely, it wouldn't fit with the sleeve fittings that came with the LNB so just used one side and pushed it in as much as I could erected the dish back in its place pulled down the connector protective case and checked the signal strength was 100% and the quality was 50% job done all working fine
Thanks again fellas

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you are only getting 50% quality your LNB is probably not fitted properly. I have never had one that doesn't fit at all, did you use the stepped one and fit it to the LNB first?

Attachments

• lnb1.jpg
    lnb1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 74
  • lnb2.jpg
    lnb2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 66