Nokia 9600 S

ovis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Digiquest 6400 FTA Astra2a/Eurosat/Hotbird 80/60 cm dishes
My Location
Italy
Have a 9600S which have used for years to access Hotbird.
Moved to Italy and continued to receive Hotbird on 60cm dish.
Recently moved dish round to Astra 2A south beam but the signal totally drops out every 6 minutes or so with "Err 5" and reboots. Thought might be a dish problem so upped it to 80 cms and used a DiSEqC switch to change between the dishes for Astra/Hotbird. Problem still exists. Signal on Astra is probably better than Hotbird which is solid. Location is well within the 2A footprint.
Nokia software is CI2.6.
Grateful if anyone can advise solution.

tks
Pete

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
could it be posible,that your channel list is nearly full?
try to erase the channels,make new search!

or try factory reset hold both arrow keys on the front,and switch on,over the power button,of your remote controll,one secound then erase is blinking in diplay,also you can try to flash another dvb 2000,when nothing works,then is a hardware fault,maybe a memory problem!

ovis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
Thanks for that. I did wonder about the number of channels
but since most were not what I wanted or couldn't watch, I deleted loads and now there are only about 50 channels each of tv and radio.

Yup have also tried the reset. I don't get Erase showing up in the display irrespective of the combinations I use, including the one you mention.
Have also tried playing with the skew angle but haven't seen any improvement as yet.

Pete

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
How did it behave when the dish was pointing to Hot Bird 13E?
Looks like a dish size problem for Astra.
Do a new install, but if I remember correctly, it starts to scan the satellite automatically and loads the memory.
See if you can do a manual scan for only the TPs that have interesting channels.
It should be OK with about 300 channels total, and I don't recommend the DVB 2000. It has a terrible user interface.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
you mast hold the the arrow buttons always,at the time,you switch on with the power button on the remote,if you not hold it simultaniusly then the erase will not work!

ovis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
Hotbird is running fine on a 60cm dish. When I first swung it around to Astra 2A/28.2e I ran into this "err 5" (??) reset and thought it was because of the size of the dish, so bought an 80cm and a DiSEqC switch to change between the dishes for Astra/Hotbird. Hotbird is still running fine on this set-up.
Any ideas on the "err 5"?
tks
Pete

ovis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
Yes have held all down at same time but still no "erase", have also seen variations of the reset sequence or perhaps badly explained eg "switch off with remote, hold + channel button and hold stnby button on Nokia" - that didnt work either. software?
Am thinking up uploading newer software once have purchased necessary cables

pete

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Latest firmware for 9600S is CI3.1
Download it from
_http://europe.nokia.com/A4144524
Click on Software
I think that your dish is still too small for Astra 28.2E

ovis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
Ok. Thanks to both for your help and suggestions.
The footprint for Astra 2A south appears to cover the centre
of Italy easily but then its only indicative and you could well be
right on the dish size.
Will try with a later software and hope it cures any corruptions that may have occurred and see what happens!
Any ideas on the meaning of the"err 5" display? can't find any refs to it anywhere.

Pete

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Which channels are you having problems with?

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
when you use dvb 2000,do you have also the b 2.0 UNS Bootloader installed,others,can make problems,from other orginal images!

ovis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
Analoguesat - All channels on Astra 2A South beam. Let me try to give you the picture - when I am watching an Astra channel the receiver works for about 6 minutes or so and then I get an "err 5" on the display and the rcvr reboots.
This does not happen on Hotbird channels. I have reduced the number of TV/radio Astra channels to a minimum but still retaining the BBC channels.
I originally was using a 60 cm dish (see previous posts) and the same problem existed so eliminated the cause as the DiSEqC switch.
Get down to software or hardware probs in the rcvr? but why only Astra??

ovis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Italy
Turok said:
when you use dvb 2000,do you have also the b 2.0 UNS Bootloader installed,others,can make problems,from other orginal images!

Am not using dvb 2000

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Try the latest firmware and hopefully it will help.
They recommend Windows 98 to do the updating, so if you face any problems while doing the flash, then you know why.
Disconnect all cables including the LNB coaxial during the process.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've got one of these loaded with Dr Overflow and it has now sat in my loft in its box for several years, as it really doesn't cut the mustard any more. I know many members thrive on getting old equipment going, but when the average €50 digital receiver handles 5000 channels, can drive a motor and is very often patchable, this receiver is dreadfully out dated.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rolfw said:
I've got one of these loaded with Dr Overflow and it has now sat in my loft in its box for several years, as it really doesn't cut the mustard any more. I know many members thrive on getting old equipment going, but when the average €50 digital receiver handles 5000 channels, can drive a motor and is very often patchable, this receiver is dreadfully out dated.

I agree with you that it is outdated, but it has a CI CAM slot which is great for opening the odd Viaccess channels like BBC Prime.
Come to think of it, this is why I bought in the first place.
You will be surprised how many people would jump to buy it if you offer it for sale.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I tried to give it away last year and no takers. ;)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Try again, but this time put a price. People don't like free stuff as they think something is wrong with it and they are concerned mainly about the shipment cost.:)

planetx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
many reception systems
My Location
europe
i have an nokia 9600 ci with dvb2000 on it and it works fine with matrix and diablo, i admit a less slower than the new ones but works!I can move the H-H with this rcvr , it-s a bit difficult but definitely works.The orbital positions should have been marked with numbers and stored.For ex: 19 for astra, 16 for w3, 13 for hotbird and so on...fromda remote control you enter the number in the field Move and the motor drive the antenna in the right position.I wanna say that the quality of the image on Nokia is much better than on dirty cheap around 50 euro rcvr
:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Too much faffing about for my liking, with far too little channel storage, regarding the other point, I've seen some cracking pictures on budget receivers and you don't have to pay a lot for one with a CAM slot either, or even a patchable one.

But it is of course horses for courses and as I said earlier, many members love playing around with outdated gear. :)