North Beam in Portugal

rato

International Administrator
Messages
1,429
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
#1
Does anyone receive the North Beam(channel 4 & channel 5 for example) here in Portugal? If you do, could you please tell me roughly the location, what kind of dish you have & LNB and how's the reception? Thanks!
 

Tonito

Regular Member
Messages
457
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
#2
Olá Rato2.

As you've seen on my post I receive the north beam in some ocasions but sometimes the signal is there but it's unwatchable. I have a televés 1m dish (I just found out it was a 1m when I thought it was a 1,10m :-doh!) anyway, I have a lidl universal lnb (I'm guessing it's a 0,6d:cool: and a hh100 motor. I live in sever do vouga which is around 30 km north from aveiro. Maybe if I had a 0,3 dB LNB I would have more success, but I don't know if it would make that much of a difference...

I'm guessing you've been in canada by your maple leaf :D. I've been in canada too. Actually I was born there in Winnipeg, MB. ;)
 

Move

Regular Member
Messages
123
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Humax CI-24 with Dragon Cam
combo box canal digital
CD Norway card
dish:90cm
LNB:0.3
1w(thor) /5e (sirius)
30 hispasat

comag sl 65(chess sl 35 patch)

thompson sky box
My Location
UK
#3
rato2 said:
Does anyone receive the North Beam(channel 4 & channel 5 for example) here in Portugal? If you do, could you please tell me roughly the location, what kind of dish you have & LNB and how's the reception? Thanks!
.
think that 1m or 1.20 possible to get the bird.lot of determination and time to tune in.channel 4 and five only with sly card activated or a freesat card from sly( a dodgy obscure product from them..eheheh).
do a google of astra2d(dot)com where you will find complete info on the north bird.


 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,700
Likes
1,287
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#4
Move, you must either post in English in this section, or at the very least include a google translation.
 

Move

Regular Member
Messages
123
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Humax CI-24 with Dragon Cam
combo box canal digital
CD Norway card
dish:90cm
LNB:0.3
1w(thor) /5e (sirius)
30 hispasat

comag sl 65(chess sl 35 patch)

thompson sky box
My Location
UK
#5
rolfw said:
Move, you must either post in English in this section, or at the very least include a google translation.
upss sorry:)
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,700
Likes
1,287
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#6
No problem. ;)
 

rato

International Administrator
Messages
1,429
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
#7
Move said:
.
think that 1m or 1.20 possible to get the bird.lot of determination and time to tune in.channel 4 and five only with sly card activated or a freesat card from sly( a dodgy obscure product from them..eheheh).
do a google of astra2d(dot)com where you will find complete info on the north bird.


Thanks Move for your help! I have done some research on the net for info on 2d but I think that the main issue here is to get a bigger dish. I am going to try maybe today with the Invacom 0,3dB LNB to see if I can get the North Beam. But as you say and whithout any doubt - lot of determination and time to tune in! I'm going to try with the FTA channels.
 

rato

International Administrator
Messages
1,429
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
#8
Tonito said:
Olá Rato2.

As you've seen on my post I receive the north beam in some ocasions but sometimes the signal is there but it's unwatchable. I have a televés 1m dish (I just found out it was a 1m when I thought it was a 1,10m :-doh!) anyway, I have a lidl universal lnb (I'm guessing it's a 0,6d:cool: and a hh100 motor. I live in sever do vouga which is around 30 km north from aveiro. Maybe if I had a 0,3 dB LNB I would have more success, but I don't know if it would make that much of a difference...

I'm guessing you've been in canada by your maple leaf :D. I've been in canada too. Actually I was born there in Winnipeg, MB. ;)
You should try if you can a different LNB with a lower noise figure. For sure it will improve slightly the reception,but you only know if you try so go for it if you can.

You can check my profile as to where I'm from. The maple leaf is because I used to work in a maple syrup factory!:D Too bad about the Winnipeg Jets goin' South to the Yanks.
 

Tonito

Regular Member
Messages
457
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
#9
hi I found out I can receive the north beam very nicely during the day, though the signal is weak, my stb can decode it without pixilization, I still haven't found out when the signal starts droping (maybe 6-7pm?).
 

Attachments

Move

Regular Member
Messages
123
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Humax CI-24 with Dragon Cam
combo box canal digital
CD Norway card
dish:90cm
LNB:0.3
1w(thor) /5e (sirius)
30 hispasat

comag sl 65(chess sl 35 patch)

thompson sky box
My Location
UK
#10
Tonito said:
hi I found out I can receive the north beam very nicely during the day, though the signal is weak, my stb can decode it without pixilization, I still haven't found out when the signal starts droping (maybe 6-7pm?).
try to tweak lnb .It helps sometimes to get better tunning.
at astra2d(dot)com/reception you can find some info about itv and bbc lnd tweak.
 

Tonito

Regular Member
Messages
457
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
#11
By tweaking do you mean skewing? It's a motorized dish, wouldn't that affect reception on other satellites?
 

Move

Regular Member
Messages
123
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Humax CI-24 with Dragon Cam
combo box canal digital
CD Norway card
dish:90cm
LNB:0.3
1w(thor) /5e (sirius)
30 hispasat

comag sl 65(chess sl 35 patch)

thompson sky box
My Location
UK
#12
Tonito said:
By tweaking do you mean skewing? It's a motorized dish, wouldn't that affect reception on other satellites?
yes it will.
 

rato

International Administrator
Messages
1,429
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
#13
Well I did try the Invacom LNB with my dad's 1.20m dish and he has the same Inverto White Tech as mine and he only lives a couple of blocks away from me so it's not too far away from my reception.

I took my Grundig to see the comparison with my STB. The readings from my dad's dish is the same as mine. When I hooked up the Invacom LNB, the North Beam just passed from "not locked" to "ok", but the SQ did not alter. Some channels did get better. London TV had 0% SQ and you could still see it without it pixelizing, but with the Invacom, it went to 5% to 10% SQ. On the other hand, channels like BBC 1, lost 10% SQ. Some channels gained, and some lost, but no big difference and no North Beam.
 

Tonito

Regular Member
Messages
457
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
#14
Maybe I'm just beeing silly, but you should try it with another receiver, I know that being further north than you may influence in me getting a better reception than you though your dish is bigger than mine, but there are also reports on north beam being receivable on algarve with rather small dishes. I would test it with other receivers to see which brands are better for fringe reception.
 

rato

International Administrator
Messages
1,429
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
#15
That is going to be my next step. But to compare now, it had to be with the same STB.
 

Tonito

Regular Member
Messages
457
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
#16
Best of luck in getting the north beam :)
 

rato

International Administrator
Messages
1,429
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
#17
Thanks! I'm going to try with my Nokia + Neotion to see the difference in reception also when I get the chance to get to the damn' roof!
 

rato

International Administrator
Messages
1,429
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
#18
Here are a few pic's of my dad's dish with the Invacom LNB.
 

Attachments

Top