Nostalgia project

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Unlike most people of my age (and beyond), I didn't have the likes of Spectrum or a C64 as my first computer. It was an Acorn A3010 running RISC OS 3.10 on which I have learned pretty much everything I need to know about computers, including some low level assembler programming (since mostly forgotten!).

It was a brilliant system, years ahead of its Microshaft equivalents and I did everything on it from playing games, school work to programming. It cost my parents £250 in 1994 and came with a 1MB RAM, which was nowhere near enough for my needs, a floppy drive and er.... that's it. No hard drive there either since the OS was in ROM and was impossible to break (unlike Windows!). Sadly, this meant that all programs had to be loaded from floppy disks, which was slow and inconvenient and was impossible to upgrade to a later version.

After struggling for a while, I blew my life savings on a 4MB RAM board and 170Mb hard drive. It was like being released from the shackles. 4MB was more than enough for every day use and 170Mb hard drive swallowed up all of my floppy disks with half of space to spare. It also meant that I was able to load modules from later OS versions at boot-up, which essentially upgraded OS from it's ROM-based 3.1 to 3.5-ish. This allowed me to view JPEG files natively without having to convert them to native "Sprite" format.

That said, it did struggle with some things that we all take for granted now. Having a 12MHz ARM processor without on-board floating point capabilities to play with meant that things like mp3 files wouldn't play natively. In fact, it took almost an hour to convert an average file into uncompressed "wav" and would only play it if I played it from command line in single task mode.

At the time, the greatest RISC machine was a RISC PC based one with a StrongARM processor, which ran at a whopping 233MHz and later were even overclocked to 287MHz! So, my puny 12MHz paled into non-existence. Sadly, the price was so high that it was never accessible for me and it was cheaper to buy a top range Intel-based PC.

Now, however, things have changed. The priced dropped (though not as much as you'd think for a 20 year old computer) and I acquired a StrongARM 233MHz RISC PC with a MIDI(!) card. The plan for it is to spec it up to a top-range model, along with 486 DX2 card and Windows 95 installed. An old-school VM! It doesn't have a network card or a mouse, so I need to source these.

I have no idea what happened with my A3010. According to my mum, she 'threw it out'.... but plenty of old floppies still remain so I wonder what goodies I'll be able to find there. Assuming any still work.

Has anyone used/owned/owns an Acorn computer here? Also, this specifically relates to RISC OS versions, branded under Archimedes name, not BBC Micro ones.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I used Acorn computers at school, ones that were long past their use-by date, hated them, because at home I'd gotten used to Amigas and DOS/Windows PCs, and the Acorns just felt clunky, unmanageable and slow, kind of like going from a Honda Civic to a Lada Samara, when they were finally bringing in networked Windows98SE PCs, it felt like a day of celebration, no more floppies (aside from my own to download stuff from t'internet and take it home!), no more waiting for a potato resolution image to draw, and no more eye aches from staring at those god awful CUB monitors... :-wow

It's sad that Acorn turned into all that (in my opinion), considering they directly started the smartphone revolution with their Acorn RISC Machine (or ARM) processor, but by that point the Acorn business was sold to Olivetti, and Herman Hauser & the engineers from Acorn left to pursue the CPU they pretty much made the world's technology we have today...

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I was the other way around. Windows machines seemed backwards and crashed *all* time time. There was very little I could do on Windows that I couldn't on an Acorn.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Sorry Alex ..but as you know already ..
I was weened on Comodore so can't help ...though I wish you luck with your nostalgia project..
In my loft ..
I have a working PET with small green screen monitor ..
a couple of VIC20s
An Arfon VIC20 Expansion unit..
Some C64 in various states of 'undress'
A C+4 ...and a C16
..which is where my journey in 8 bit ended..sadly

oh ..and 2x 1541 Floppy drives...and an original 1540

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I did have a C64 briefly attached to my 14" Ferguson TV, copying 'games' from a book from the school library. Oh and it had a tape drive - when stuff loaded, it almost looked like a Videocrypt encrypted image :D

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
I did have a C64 briefly attached to my 14" Ferguson TV, copying 'games' from a book from the school library. Oh and it had a tape drive - when stuff loaded, it almost looked like a Videocrypt encrypted image :D
..forgot about the tape drives ..of which I think I had 4 at the last count..

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Slightly off topic (I was going to post later tonight)

My daughter is somewhat obsessed with apps on her hand-me-down iPad Mk1 and as of late my android phone. Plus she is always 'borrowing' the other half's tablet to play something called Crossy road.

I would prefer she diverted her energy playing games into looking into the compiling stuff and one of the apps on the iPad is a robot character that can be moved across the screen in certain steps by putting together the correct commands.
She has been interested previously and completed a couple of levels before the lure of the android games.

I had been thinking of getting her a Raspberry Pi kit from the local store and these have become more attractive in the new year, with an 'all-in-one' packet with keyboard, leads, Sim card and manual for under £35.

Has anyone used this kit to introduce a primary school child into the aspect of computing at machine level and does it retain their interest ?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
So ..I am/was curious just how rare the VIC20 Arfon expansion unit was ..so looked on Ebay to see if I could find one ..
Not a sausage...
but looks like there was one for sale at some point..here ..
Google Translate
asking price was about 170 Euro..

..not that I'd ever sell mine ..
It was the best investment I ever made...
It cost me about 4 weeks wages back then.
The result of using it ..bought my house..

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
So ..I am/was curious just how rare the VIC20 Arfon expansion unit was ..so looked on Ebay to see if I could find one ..
Not a sausage...
but looks like there was one for sale at some point..here ..
Google Translate
asking price was about 170 Euro..

The 'ViC' prefix was, as far as I recall only for UK/US equipment, you may get better results with 'VC20' in the searches.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
After my Acorn Electron (yes the BBC type) I got given an RM nimbus which had dos 5 on it, heavens that takes me back

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
It was *you* that bought them? They only sold about 5 in the UK... :) (I'm exaggerating, but still...)
Nope ..
No money changed hands for those computers HB ..
Mine were gifted by Comodore ..in order to write more stuff for them..
One of my crappy games was in the 'freebie' pack that went out with all C16s..
A sort of crazy golf if memory serves..
rgds
VS
The guy playing it has not twigged that you can bounce off solids ..
so the pars are do-able

and I also did versions of Punchy for C16 as well as the Vic 20
So ..whatever you might think of the games themselves ..keep in mind they were written and ran in the memory available which in the case of the Vic20..
3K is NOT a lot..
;)

..you could do a helluva lot more with the C64 ..it having a mind blowing 64k ;)
C16 = 16k
Vic 20 = 3k ..but my Punchy needed the 16k expansion pack to run..

Last edited:
A

archive10

Has anyone used/owned/owns an Acorn computer here? Also, this specifically relates to RISC OS versions, branded under Archimedes name, not BBC Micro ones.
Sorry but, I got a BBC model B in 1982 from my parents, learned to program on that (and like you dabbled into assembler etc).
Had some friends who were part of a, hmm - let's call it a network, so I had access to just about all games ever published for the machine.

Always wanted an Archimedes, even taught myself ARM assembler on a friends A3000, but when I started earning any money that could be used for purchasing bigger machines, PCs were the way forward (bang for the buck-wise).

Have ditched most (alomst all) machines I've ever grown out of - but I still have the BBC model B with 65C102 2nd processor, Watford Electronics Sideways ROM, 2 x TEAC FD-55F floppy drives, and a Music 5000...all in a box that has not been opened since, oooh, 1990?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
My university project in 1985 involved a Motorola 6800 processor and some programming.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
I have an Archimedes A3000 in my collection of computers from the 80's and 90's purchased about 10 years ago from a car boot sale but didn't get round to using it beyond initial test/play with it.

My first computer in early 82 was a Sinclair ZX81 with numerous peripherals 16k and 64k RAM packs. 8k EEPROM board (fits in memory between original ROM and RAM), EEPROM/PIC programmer (useful for satellite viewing cards), hi-res graphics card (256x192), colour graphics board (worked for 4 weeks) ZX Printer, RS232 port etc. Used up to the late 80's for chip programming.

Next was a Sinclair Spectrum 16k (soon upgraded to 48k) and added numerous peripherals to that including sound output box, teletext box, video capture box (256x 192 pixels). microdrives and my first modem a Prism VTX5000 (1200 baud (bps) download and 75 upload), speech synthesizers and a Rotonics Wafadrive (two "stringy floppy" mini cassette type drives plus RS232 and Centronics printer ports). Yes I've been online now for over 32 years.

Next was my first PC - an 8086 Sinclair PC200 - integrated computer and keyboard (similar to Amiga 1200) with two 8 bit ISA expansion slots accessed through a flap on top, with built in 3.5" floppy and socket to accept an external floppy 3.5" and 5". As well as monitor output it also had composite video output so was a lot more portable than a normal PC.

Numerous self built PCs have followed these with processors from 200 MHz up to current core i3 laptop.

Other computers collected over the years include 4 more ZX81s, Spectrum 48k, Spectrum 2, Spectrum 3, Sinclair QL, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200, Vic 20, and Jupiter Ace (Forth based computer from the Sinclair Spectrum developers). plus numerous periphals, discs and tapes

This thread prompted me check on ebay and I discovered the Jupiter Ace is extremely rare and is now selling for between £ 300 and £1200 - considering I purchased mine new for £30 when they went bust along with 6 printed circuit boards and a couple of keyboard "membranes" - interestingly all the chips used are standard of the shelf DIL ICs of the time and the ROM is two 4k 2532 EEPROMs, Chip lists and locations are available on line - anyone fancy building their own.

Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I have a ZX80 with RAM pack somewhere in the loft. Does that count?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
My university project in 1985 involved a Motorola 6800 processor and some programming.

Ditto for my Honours Project in 1978!

The M6800 certainly endured.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
I have a ZX80 with RAM pack somewhere in the loft. Does that count?
If genuine ZX80 RAM pack then it would probably fetch over £150 on ebay if both working.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I doubt it's working...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

Ha yes, I used one in 93 for my project, when I returned to college to retrain at the age of 40. I had everyone in the building running to see my project results as I was the first student to ever get the voice simulation software to produce vocal output which stated the direction of rotation on the standard 6800 motor project, all the stated guideline voice parameters were out by a factor of 1000 IIRC, hence nobody have achieved more than a grunt previously, but being inquisitive type I kept re-flashing different values until it vocalised something intelligible. Must dig that out from my files, wherever I put them for safekeeping:rolleyes: