Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
A British-led team of scientists has made the first big step into the future by creating a device which makes things invisible.
The Star Trek-style "cloaking device" measures less than five inches across and only responds to radar waves.
But within five years there might be devices powerful enough to make whole vehicles "vanish" - including battlefield tanks.
An invisibility cloak blueprint was produced in May by Professor Sir John Pendry, a physicist at Imperial College London. Just five months later, scientists working with him in the US have put the idea into practice.
The concept involves bending visible light, or other forms of electromagnetic radiation such as radar, around the object being hidden.
An observer looking at the cloaked object will see light deflected from behind, making it seem to disappear.
Sir John said: "The previous paper was all theory, explaining how it could be done, but the real challenge was to make the unusual materials needed for a working device.
"It's all been done in a time scale much shorter than I had envisaged. This cloaking device is just a demonstration showing that you can get radiation where you want it to be.
"There's still some development to do, but I would have thought that in five years you'd be seeing some sort of practical realisation of this technology.
"It's probably too heavy for aircraft, and making objects as big as buildings disappear might be difficult. But it would be ideal for hiding a tank."

Source ITN

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Can't wait for commercial version, hide your car from traffic wardens, although it might get a bit dented, and if you don't remember where you parked it .......

"believe it when I (don't) see it" !

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Old news. Sub- hunting aircraft in WW2 used visible light to hide from U-boats. An arrangement of lights on the plane cleverly blended in with the ambient daylight to render the aircraft invisible to the subs.

Llew

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
_http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1926998,00.html

_http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2006/May/26050601.asp

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Topper said:
only responds to radar waves

Does that mean you can still see it?

Have seen some strange camouflage used

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
From above links, seems they will soon be making cars:

1) Invisible to speed radar.

2) A bit later, invisible to traffic wardens.

Obviously, there will have to be an override button, so you can actually drive the damn thing.

I forsee some architectural uses, all modern buildings are hideous .......

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
It's bad enough trying to fin your car in a busy car park without your car being invisible.

Is that space empty or just - ohhh damb!