satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Quick theory on multi-bracket LNb offset arrangement & monobloc LNb on a fixed dish.

SM

Attachments

• Offset multi-bracket - SM.pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 3,374

vjkumar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
16 feet motorised dish for c and ku band,6 ft offset dish,6ft motorised off set Dish,DM500,DM800 HD, Spiderbox 7000HD ,Tecnosat 1100plus,MetaboxIII,(146E to 25.5E)
My Location
Coimbatore -India
satelliteman said:
Quick theory on multi-bracket LNb offset arrangement on a fixed dish.

SM

hello

Nice to see the article.Can you give the formula to calculate the distance at which the Lnb's to be located,this will give bit easiness on mounting.

Vjkuamr

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It depends on the focal length of the dish and the position of the offset satellite relative to the focal one.

As a rough guide, this is what I use, and then adjust accurately with a meter.

Let L= dish focal length
Let a = azimuth angular difference between offset sat and focal one.
Let d = spacing of LNB (from centres)

Equation:-

d= L x tan(a)

N.B, if the focal length is unkown, just measure the distance between the LNB and the centre of the dish as a rough guide.

This method will aslo work for obtaining a rough estimate of the height difference required also, but this is not as difficult, as it will normally be a lot smaller.

Robbo:)

routerunner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven Gemini G90 + multiclamp for 13E and 28E, Topfield 5510
My Location
Wiltshire
Hi,

very interesting indeed...but I have a question, is it "a" the Azimuth distance relative to the two satellites or to the dish location? Example lets say I want main focus on 13E and offset to 28.2E, then the relative distance will be 15.2 degrees, but from my physical location which depends on my LONG/LAT the distance will be 18 degrees, do you agree?

cheers

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The angle depends on more than just a couple of points derived from your position. All satellites are in a geostationary orbit which is measured from the centre of the earth (give or take a hundred miles or so). This is somewhat more than the distance of the observer (and their dish) which is some 3700 miles closer to the geostationary arc.

The main variable is the changing distance apart of the two satellites from each other, if they are close then the distance of the two LNBs will be roughly equal (3 to 9 degrees for example), but if the distance is as far as say both horizons (almost 180 degrees to the observer) the satellites are still no more than 140 degrees apart.

The other main variable is the distance from the equator of the observer, moving further north or south reduces down the difference between the two angles, to a maximum of 10% of the original when at the two poles.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
routerunner said:
Hi,

very interesting indeed...but I have a question, is it "a" the Azimuth distance relative to the two satellites or to the dish location? Example lets say I want main focus on 13E and offset to 28.2E, then the relative distance will be 15.2 degrees, but from my physical location which depends on my LONG/LAT the distance will be 18 degrees, do you agree?

cheers

Possibly yes, but it doesn't matter really, as you fiddle with the offset LNB position to get the best signal. Whether it's 15 degrees or 18 degrees, they are both in the same ballpark.

routerunner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven Gemini G90 + multiclamp for 13E and 28E, Topfield 5510
My Location
Wiltshire
well, I wish it could be that simple ;-)

In my case that 3º differences, made a huge impact on my reception capabilities. It probably depends on my dish as well, I reckon that a Triax with its multiclamp does a better job as the clamp itself is evenly curved so that LNBs at the right or left position relative to the main one are always at the best possible focus position, whilst mine which is a straight bracket need to be curved toward the dish to achieve best results limiting the optimal reception capabilities to just one LNB

cheers

JUVE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird 13
Astra 28.2
My Location
NORTH WEST
hi just looked at the "Quick theory on multi-bracket LNb offset arrangement on a fixed dish". Which of the 2 lnb's is fixed by the bracket and is this the way it would be if the lnb was recieve hotbird?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
In the diagram, the dish is foccussed on 19.2E, with the LNB for that on the central clamp.

The offset LNB is to the left and is to receive Hotbird, which is to the west of 19.2E.

If you want Hotbird and Astra, set it up as per the picture.

Satcom1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Meter Primestar Elliptical C/KU. Twinhan 1025 PCI(Linux), Coolsat 6000, Winegard 76 cm dish. 8' Unimesh, HCC9300 Receiver.
Diamond 9000 HD, 1m prime focus, 1.2 m prime focus, both on C Band.
My Location
Chicago
I have set the primary lnbf positioned (By SG2100) to a FTA bird and used Lyngsat to determine the degrees offset (say 6 degrees) for my first offset lnbf. Then I place a protractor at the "bore Site" of the center of the dish. With a string from the protractor I run a string to minus 6 degrees and measure on the bracket where the lnbf should be. If I have a motor, why do this? Cause it saves the motor and tunes the new bird faster.

If your satellite is 6 degrees west of your primary then you want the lnbf offset to be six degrees east.

In my case I'm able to use three positions for six birds.

:-righton

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The last Posts in this Thread were two years ago, so I very much doubt you will get a response now.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK