One for the feedhunters?

aceb

Specialist Contributor
My Satellite Setup
TBS 6925
1.8m Precision + PLL Bullseye, motorised but probably siezed now.
2 x Sky Zone 2 for 28/19/13°E
My Location
Sussex
Having just acquired a shiny new Android phone I've installed dishpointer (great app!) and I've discovered if I move the dish to another part of the garden I can just about squeeze LOS as far as 68.5E, currently I'm limited to 53°E. So, according to Lyngsat that should give me 62, 66 and 68.5E, all three have beams touching the SE of the UK so hopefully my 1m is big enough. Question is, do they carry much traffic, either entertainment or feeds? It'll be a bit of a job to move everything, not least because it will require a little more cable so I'm just wondering if I'll gain much?
 
How big a dish can you get away with?

And can you guarantee uninterrupted line of sight for what amount to infinitesimal elevation angles?
 
aceb said:
Having just acquired a shiny new Android phone I've installed dishpointer (great app!) and I've discovered if I move the dish to another part of the garden I can just about squeeze LOS as far as 68.5E, currently I'm limited to 53°E. So, according to Lyngsat that should give me 62, 66 and 68.5E, all three have beams touching the SE of the UK so hopefully my 1m is big enough. Question is, do they carry much traffic, either entertainment or feeds? It'll be a bit of a job to move everything, not least because it will require a little more cable so I'm just wondering if I'll gain much?

hi -
there is nothing to speak of on 62 and 66 east - just 1 channel and some data transponders -- feeds and channels of interest are on the middle east beams.

i,v had a 90 cm offset fixed dish on 68 .5 and can recieve f.t.a channels ok on the europe beam they are weak and fade in and out especialy in bad weather -- they are almost all religious channels of one sort or another -- the only channel i used to watch was the - S.A.B.C news channel but it has stopped broadcasting some time ago -
i hoped for feeds from this sat but have never picked any up --
i have only 2.4 degrees elevation on this sat from here --
you should have around 5.0 at your location so a 1 metre should work o.k. -- but to be honest i hardly think its worth all the effort as things stand at the moment
- thinking of taking mine down and making better use of it elsewhere
cheers nelson.b .
 
Tivù said:
How big a dish can you get away with? And can you guarantee uninterrupted line of sight for what amount to infinitesimal elevation angles?
A 1m, anything larger and it will have to be a polar mount which is OK on a ground mount but this will have to be wall mounted next to a neighbours fence so I need to think asthetics. Assuming the phones sensors are accurate, likewise the GPS then 68.5 should be a tad above a tree 500m away but it's too close to bet on.

nelson_b said:
hi -
you should have around 5.0 at your location so a 1 metre should work o.k. -- but to be honest i hardly think its worth all the effort as things stand at the moment
Thanks for the info Nelson, yes, it reckons 4.8°. Doesn't sound like it's really worth the hassle of standing outside in this grotty weather for a day, maybe a job for a nice sunny one in the spring.
 
nelson_b said:
i have only 2.4 degrees elevation on this sat from here
Can you not get it with the big dish?
 
no - unfortunately not --- a building blocks my view -- my limit is 53 east k/u band
-- 49 east C band , with the cm 1.8
the 90 cm on 68.5 east was just to see if it was possible for me from here and to my surprise it was -- but only just --

cheers nelson.b.
 
Old Satellite said:
68.5 is interesting on C Band with a 3.8 mtr Lots to see!

Regards to all

Oldsat
7.6º elevation here, but my horizon over that end is 8.2º.
 
Old Satellite said:
68.5 is interesting on C Band with a 3.8 mtr Lots to see!

Regards to all

Oldsat

you are so lucky -- Oldsat -- to be able to get the C band channels from this sat --
whre do you live if you dont mind my asking ?

regards nelson.b.
 
Anticipating a reply from Oldsat, if my memory is correct, he operates from Belgium.
 
Even when being in Ku band coverage zone of these sats, there's nothing really interesting to see there. Real fun begins in C band. Here, 1.5m is enough for most of C band, certain transponders only requiring 2.4m
 
Back
Top