... one small step for A man ....

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Apparently, that's what Neil Armstrong actually said, when he stepped on the moon (and not "one small step for man ......").

See: http://www.controlbionics.com/cb_one_small_a.htm .

(I heared this mentioned on today's R4 "PM" programme, 30 mins ago, and followed the link on the PM blog, BBC radio website).

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
They use computers to analyse his voice - all those newspaper headlines!

Does make it grammatically correct.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
And James Cagney didn't say: "See, I'll get you...dirty rat".

But Mike Yarwood did say: "And this is me." :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not according to the audio file, it was what he meant to say, but not what he actually said.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Anyway, I don't recall an "a" being in it. :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
From BBC web site

"Computer expert Peter Shann Ford says he has found the missing "a" from Neil Armstrong's famous first words from the moon.

Historians have long criticised Mr Armstrong for not saying the more grammatically correct, "One small step for a man...""

type this string in the BBC search bar to watch the video

'first words on moon'

(can't hear an 'a' in there)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
The indefinite article is definitely indefineable... O-Ha

Llew

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Aaaaaa, what a miss:-rofl2

Going so far and not knowing what to say

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Although (personal opinion of course) we never actually went to the moon (unless they had 3 feet of Lead sheilding on the lunar lander in order to protect them from the layer of radiation that surrounds the Earth :cool: ), I think that what he actually said was right, as it was (supposed to be) a small step for man to make in order for it to be a giant leap for mankind... :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Without the "a" works better. One small step for a man sounds a bit camp. ;)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
He didn't 'a' because it was a mouthfull, without the 'a' it's simply easier to say, can't blame Armstrong for that! And he did go to the moon, heard all the rubbish about shadows, and the flag moving and all that, and it's all easily explained.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Anyway, if you say one small step for a man, surely you have to say, "one small step for a mankind".

But that sounds daft. :D

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Man = singular

Mankind = plural

You wouldn't say "a men" (unless you are religious O-Ha )

Llew

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Salty25 said:
And he did go to the moon, heard all the rubbish about shadows, and the flag moving and all that, and it's all easily explained.

It's not the shadows, flags and reflections I'm bothered about, it's, as I said, the radiation I have trouble understanding how they managed to pass through without losing a single hair or come back with a green glow, but that's a whole other thread... :p

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Man can be plural, since it is a shortened version of mankind. :D

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
What gets me about this whole space travel is that we went to the moon(supposedly)in 1969 with the technologly they had then,we've had 37yrs of advancing the technology but were have we been since:confused

You'd think going to the moon would be doddle now,i know there's no reason for it now,or maybe there is?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oily said:
What gets me about this whole space travel is that we went to the moon(supposedly)in 1969 with the technologly they had then,we've had 37yrs of advancing the technology but were have we been since:confused

You'd think going to the moon would be doddle now,i know there's no reason for it now,or maybe there is?

Out of the solar system and heading off to the stars! (Assorted Pioneer & Voyager craft)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Yes, but we HAVE been, that's the point. Why go again, for no particular reason?

As Analoguesat says, there's been a huge - and highly successful - programme of robotic exploration.