openbox s9 what is the verdict on these ?

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
Huevos said:
I haven't got one, but my understanding is no. To update anything (even CCcam.cfg) you have to do it via the USB port using the box menu to control the transfer.

if so in some way i dont realy see much future for this box even if it reads NDS cards and cost 100€ , there are many boxes like this they appear for few months then no more support ..and if any changes with providers ..you can put it aside ..still few pounds or euros more i prefere Linux based box...regards

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
pipino said:
if so in some way i dont realy see much future for this box even if it reads NDS cards and cost 100€
Just a couple of things, first it's not a bad price for an HD box with fast blind search (which sadly is missing from the current pool of Enigma based receivers). Also, for use here in Spain it is great, now there are now longer Sky SD receivers and the retail of unsubscribed HD receivers is in the region of 300€. And one other thing, people keep saying this is a client only box with regard to C/S, but if you do a search you will find reports of people using it with newcamd as a server (same as with the Spiderbox).

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
I'm getting a few after some great reviews. I don't see how a missing webpanel can mean it has not future though.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
fergyc said:
I don't see how a missing webpanel can mean it has not future though.
I don't think that is the point. The thing with the Enigma boxes is that the operating system is open source and functions to certain known protocols like FTP/HTTP/Telnet etc. That means any software developer (normally someone who is not in it for the money) with the know-how can get stuck in and write software that deals with up to the minute issues such as new softcams, as well skins and suchlike that keep the box seeming new and fresh. On the other hand receivers that use proprietry firmware are not going to have any level of support from independant developers, and the users have to rely on software updates from the manufacturer... and since the manufacturer is in it for the profit software updates are few and far between and stop the moment manufacturing stops, leaving us with a box that can't cope with modern issues.

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
Huevos said:
I don't think that is the point. The thing with the Enigma boxes is that the operating system is open source and functions to certain known protocols like FTP/HTTP/Telnet etc. That means any software developer (normally someone who is not in it for the money) with the know-how can get stuck in and write software that deals with up to the minute issues such as new softcams, as well skins and suchlike that keep the box seeming new and fresh. On the other hand receivers that use proprietry firmware are not going to have any level of support from independant developers, and the users have to rely on software updates from the manufacturer... and since the manufacturer is in it for the profit software updates are few and far between and stop the moment manufacturing stops, leaving us with a box that can't cope with modern issues.

thanx ..thats exactly my point

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Anyone else found the Openbox s9.us forums yet? Here _http://www.fridgefta.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=230

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
I have noticed one slight "niggle" on my box - there is a very significant drop in signal level on the lnb out socket compared to my other receivers. I occasionally use this connection for testing Sky dodgyboxes without having to disconnect another receiver (on my DiSEqC switches 28 East is on port 1 allowing use of Sky boxes which don't have DiSEqC capability in the software). Is this just my box or a "feature" of all?