OpenPli running on my DM500HD

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
I have a home compiled OpenPli running on my DM500HD. It seems very stable. It does not have all the bells and whistles of DreamElite Blackhole, but I could build it on my dev environment, which is a bonus. It is not released generally yet, but I am sure it will be in the next couple of days.
It is interesting that most of the code is based on the DM8000 (not the Dm800 as I thought it would).

Both images I have tried have been blistering fast compared to my DM800 and also seem more reliable. And with the fan the box runs ice cold.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
The nightly build of OpenPli for the DM500HD is now available from the OpenPli website (including the plugins).

nenito2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Core 2 Duo, Echostar 2200ci
My Location
North Africa
hi shumi; thanx for the info; i was wondering :

A lot of people are not aware that irdeto 2 (probably the most secure encryption system) is coming to an end. IRDETO 3+ is already out and if its as good as the 2.....well we are done for :)

can we hope that DM 500hd can read the new cards???
Will cccam be compatible with the new system ?

finally you have given some truly interesting info about this box, i also thought that it would be based on a 800 code, and yet you say its more of an 8000!!! that is actually good stuff.
My question is that most people tell me to get a vu+ etc.....
but time has proven that every time there is a box that LOOKS better....after a while it just doesnt upgradre as good as the DM stuff
what would be your advice ????? is vu+, the new technomate 800hd something to consider?????

2/ you said the 500hd was much faster than 800 ok, that is very good news; so basically the 500hd is new hardware compared to the 800, does HDMI bring something? Is the picture quality better than the DM800 (colours, motion....)

3/ Do 500HD clones exist??? cause i am not aware !

4/ someone on another forum told me that the 800 was lacking filters (for image quality) compared to the 8000.....
is that true? what about the 500hd ? (since its based on a 8000 code you say...)

THANXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in advance mate

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
IRDETO: I would go onto streamboard to see whether OSCAM can handle it. I have had no use for it so cannot comment further.
CCcam seems to take longer then most other cams to catch up with new encoding systems. I would guess it will...eventually.
I have burnt my fingers in the past with other Linux based receivers (slow development and limited and unreliable funtionality) and will never buy anything but a genuine dreambox again. But hey, that's me. A bit more expensive but well supported by many images and most things work first time.

2/ Not that I noticed. But the remote does not cause crashes and the box reacts lightning fast.

3/ No comment. I am anti-clones as it makes life difficult for people trying to buy a genuine dreambox as they could get stuck with a clone.

4/ I don't know about filters, but when I build the code for the Dm500HD a LOT of the source compiled is that for a DM8000. However, the bits of an image that can be compiled by third parties does not include any drivers - these are proprietry and there could be significant differences there between a 500hd and an 8000, although I suspect strongly of not. As far as plugins/addons are concerned you can compile/use any of the DM8000 ones on the 500HD although I am not sure that you might not HAVE to rebuild some.

I really like the 500HD - it has proven very stable with DreamElite Black Hole 1.0 and supports all the features I need. I much prefer it to the DM800, but cannot comment on the DM8000 as I don't own one.

nenito2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Africa
thanx for all the answsers, really appreciate it. Guess my decision is taken, i will get one next month :)

nenito2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Africa
any new owners of this box? seems very rare to see people buy this box....
any feedback would be appreciated