Optical Actuator - Wiring Help

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi,

I wish to connect an 36V actuator with an optical sensor to a positioner but am not 100% confident of the wiring. The terminals on the units are as below:

Positioner connectors in 2 rows
[+Motor] [+5V] [GND]
[-Motor] [] [Sensor]
The middle connector on the 2nd row is not labelled and is directly below the [+5V] connector

Optical actuator connectors in 5 terminal block
[+5V] [Sensor] [GND] [M2] [M1]

The motor wiring is straightforward but it is the optical sensor in the actuator that I am not sure about. The connections I thought would be correct are:

[+5V] to [+5V] and [Sensor] to [Sensor]

However, I read the below on one of the satellite equipment suppliers web sites and it mentions the need for a 5th core connection

Motor control cable. 5 core.
Our 4 core motor control cable (above) can also be used as 5 core cable.
Simply use the screen round the sensor wires as the earth wire. Works perfectly.
(5 core cable is normally used for optical sensor motors like the
inclined orbit jack on the 1224EL H to H motor)

I am a bit confused by the wiring and would be grateful for any help from someone who knows how to wire up an optical actuator.

Thx & Rgds

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Satellitesuperstore I believe.That cable will do, but it's usually best to run motor cabling separate to prevent motor pulse interference into the sensor wiring.

So you'll have M1 and M2 motor cables

+5V for powering the optical sensor

Sensor pulse and earth.

Llew

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Llew,

Thx for the reply, I am clear with the two motor cables and the 5V cable connections, however what are the other two connections to be made at both the actuator and positioner based on the available connections I described in my post.

For example, if I have used the following:

Actuator -- Positioner
[Motor] -- [Motor]
[Motor] -- [Motor]
[+5V] -- [+5V]

I have one core left plus the braided shielding that can be used as a core. How are they connected from my available free connections of:

Actuator
[Sensor]
[GND]

Positioner
[Non Labelled Connector]
[GND]
[Sensor]

The cabling I have contains the two motor cables plus double shielded sensor cables in a single sheath so hopefully there should be no issues with interference.

rgds

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
You have a shielded cable left, so -

Sheilded core from sensor terminal of actuator to sensor terminal of positioner

Sheild from sensor GND terminal to GND terminal of positioner.