Options Please And Pricing

newtothisgame

Reaction score
I have moved into a flat that is prewired to a sky dish on the roof. As a result Sky installation will not be undertaken by SKY; they will not touch shared equipment.

I want a PVR system (SKY plus or a Freeview job).

1. Can I get sky done independently? With a PVR box? Cheaply? Am not bothered about Premium content just the free/digital stuff is fine (please quote any London suppliers recommended)

2. If I get a Freeview PVR box I would like the features: large drive (20 hours plus), twin tuners, card slot (for TOPUPTV), optical sound out, 7 day EPG. PACE twin seems to be the only option but it is old and (i've read) unreliable, it also has a small memory. What is available NOW? ( i am impatient; but will wait if there is something worth it)

Plenty to be going on with there.

Thanks very much.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You are unlikely to be able to use a $ly+ box as this needs 2 inputs from the satellite dish. It's most probable that you only have 1 satellite output in your flat.

In a distributed system you don't connect directly to the dish but to a distribution unit somewhere. It's just possible that you may be able to arrange for a second feed by contacting your residents association. If you can't get a second feed ask how dead set against a minidish they are.

With regards to a terrestrial PVR I'll have to leave that to others.

PaulR

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
PaulR said:
With regards to a terrestrial PVR I'll have to leave that to others.

I think that the only 'cheap' terrestrial PVRs are the DVD recorders that you can buy in Dixons, Comet.

If you have 'loads of money' you could try this...

h**p://www.pvruk.co.uk/article.cfm?attributes.article=120