Other hobbies?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
So, I know we are all obsessed with satellite TV. Be it because of footy or because it's simply a hobby to chase those obscure, fringe channels that we are happier to watch with pixelation than without. "On-the-edge" reception is what keeps us going.

But what hobbies to others have? I know some are into their photography or bird watching. Me? Well, along with satellite TV, I am constantly tinkering with my car. More so when I had my 406, which was just a brilliant motor. "Tinkering" kept it in tip-top condition and never let me down. My current 407 is too new to be going wrong but will start it maintenance soon. All the belts, filters and oil will probably be renewed in a few months... and it could REALLY do with a wash. And a new sound system...

The other hobby I have is badminton. I am obsessed with playing it, watching it and have as many different rackets as I have dishes... if not more. I used to run but I hate running... Need to restart soon as I am getting a belly!

Oh well, back to my Gibby install!

Kveys

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125 Gibertini, Stab-120 (30W-86.5E), TM-F3/5/TM-5302HD+230Pf (C-band 40.5W-87.5E)
My Location
Southern Finland
I play badmigton also regularly (more than 25 years). German shephards (wife compete with our current dog. Me earlier). Quite often also in rockabilly (Ted) meetings here and Spain also. But mostly nowdays with fringe and new channels:)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Vintage telephones for me, though my interests tend to wax and wane so may end up interested in something else too... :D

This picture is from last year, and I have acquired a few more since then... :p

The printer is just cos I like it and it was cheap... :D

Attachments

• ShelvesBeforeMoving.jpg
    ShelvesBeforeMoving.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 72

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I never seem to have time for other hobbies, what with the goats and geese to feed morning and night, dogs to walk, Rayburn and log burner to see to during the Winter and lawn mowing in the Summer. Though I have just less than an acre of land here I have no enthusiasm for self sufficiency. Living on your own is a bit restricting of your spare time, though I try to fit in some reading on the Kindle (Bill Bryson being my author of choice lately) and I'd love to try astronomy because we have very little light pollution here but funds are tight.......oh, and I usually chat on Skype every day to my ladyfriend in South Africa...does that count as a hobby?

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
Not much else I like to do other then feed hunting...downhill skiing I guess when I get a chance.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
For me i've been into tropical fishkeeping since i was young and now i've just set up a 400 litre tank in the lounge which is keeping me busy. Today though i've been out taking photos again (see flickr link below) of aircraft. Photography, astronomy when i get the chance and most stuff to do with nature. And i try to get some satellite dx in aswell.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
Lots of tinkering with classic cars in the past ---
Got quite a collection of hi-fi amps and speakers - in good working order too - (1970 - 1985 period)
Been playing with satellite dishes etc for the past 14 years --
For the last 3 years or so (since i turned 60 and now work part time) i,v been doing more fell walking and mountain walking/scrambling - locally and in the lake district - and north west scotland -- while i,m still fit enough to be able to :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Metal detecting is my main hobby along with satellite now, but shooting and fishing I do a bit of but they used to be my main hobby. I do love my wildlife but I get my viewing from that in my other hobby's.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Satellite has been my main hobby since I was quite young but I've also been into general electronics and computers too (starting with the C64). Also used to be a bit of a radio anorak but generally less interested in radio these days as it's not very exciting any more (networked Heart, Capital, etc, all playing the same thing).

Also like cycling in Finland in the summer (Helsinki is full of cycle paths and it's a great way to explore places) and cross country skiing in the winter.

I like taking photos too while out and about but it was only when I got my first digital camera in 1997 that I become interested in it (it was the size and weight of a brick, took very low resolution photos and eat huge amounts of AA batteries and had very little memory) . I've attached one of the first pictures I took after buying the camera at Heathrow. That's full resolution. :-rofl2

Attachments

• PIC00001.JPG
    PIC00001.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 61

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Main hobby according to SWMBO is sitting on my a£$* on the settee. Apart from that I still have my amateur radio licence which I nowadays use mainly for RAYNET; I used to contest quite actively but not for quite a few years now.

Before I was married I was very active in Rallying but I blew the engine up (conrod separated from piston and punched a hole through the block!) just at the time I met my wife-to-be and money was diverted elsewhere. I was in the motor trade back then and had access to all sorts of tools and equipment. I still do my own maintenance on my cars (can that be classed as a hobby?) although my recent bad back problems have severely dented my abilities there.

I'm still a member of my motor club though. Not an active competitor, nor even a marshal nowadays. I do however put the motor club magazine together.

My wife and I kept bees for quite a few years and still have all the equipment, in fact everything except the livestock and somewhere to put the hive(s).

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Quite often also in rockabilly (Ted) meetings here and Spain also. But mostly nowdays with fringe and new channels:)
I took over hosting and updating a number of websites with rockabilly content and all that stuff from a friend. My UK accountant was also in a rockabilly group and loves to tell me about the time he visited Finland and the great appreciation they have for it. Personally, I'm more into electronic music...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well my hobbies wax and wane also however I am back into DIY big time at the moment, I like exploring gadgets and technology and have recently replaced a couple of damaged touch screens on mobile phones, for which you need patience and a very steady hand, but it was only through necessity really. I still swim once per week usually 40 to 50 lengths not the 300+ per week I used to do. I have been the secretary of my grammar school alumni since 2008 and find that quite demanding at times writing to celebrities, MP's, High Sheriffs etc and even though the kids have flown the nest I am always helping and supporting them, who has time to watch TV...not me

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Campanology is my chief non-technical hobby.

Also do lots of fell-walking, home-brewing and have an ancient Amateur Radio Licence.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I heard this loud aircraft noise so went outside with the wrong camera :eek: better telephoto on the other camera,
Large twin engine Helicopter just spotted heading in a North East direction looks like it can change from vertical to horizontal take off I wonder what it is ?

DSCN1355[1].JPG

DSCN1356[1].JPG

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I like seeing new places - holidays are normally taken off the main tourist trail so in recent years we have had summer visits to

Slovenia
Montenegro
Iceland
Andorra
Bulgaria
Canada

Also like trying new beers & the local firewaters when we are somewhere new - the Icelandic Breniven is my favourite with Montenegran & Danish spirits close second :D

Plus hill walking, refurbishing old computer kit at minimal cost for ongoing use - I dont mind spending a few quid on anything I shall be using but most of it is patched up from the bottomless spares bin.

Oh and theres my love of music of course - 80s pop & general rock

Last edited:

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
So, I know we are all obsessed with satellite TV. Be it because of footy or because it's simply a hobby to chase those obscure, fringe channels that we are happier to watch with pixelation than without. "On-the-edge" reception is what keeps us going.

But what hobbies to others have? I know some are into their photography or bird watching. Me? Well, along with satellite TV, I am constantly tinkering with my car. More so when I had my 406, which was just a brilliant motor. "Tinkering" kept it in tip-top condition and never let me down. My current 407 is too new to be going wrong but will start it maintenance soon. All the belts, filters and oil will probably be renewed in a few months... and it could REALLY do with a wash. And a new sound system...

The other hobby I have is badminton. I am obsessed with playing it, watching it and have as many different rackets as I have dishes... if not more. I used to run but I hate running... Need to restart soon as I am getting a belly!

Oh well, back to my Gibby install!
Must admit I go from one thing to another. used to do metal detecting but got a bit bored with it and sold the gear for the same price as I paid for it. had a Meade 12" scope but it was heavy, to much for me to take out in the car that often. Being the impatient sort I got frustrated on cold nights setting it up. My main hobby was DIY, the house is twice as big as it was 30 years ago and now retired from the plumbing and heating trade put en suites wherever possible. Dreading a rating valuation in the future.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Would it count as any at all? :D

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Since I am much more housebound these days ..
Physical activities such as bike riding ...metal detecting ...marathon running etc have sadly all passed into history for me..
I envy those who still can ..
Does drinking the occasional real ale count as a hobby ..
..and I have a huge collection of old british comedy in various forms on my server ..
Getting close to 12 TB of 'ahem' media ..
movies ...sci fi ... drama ....drama ...documentary etc etc ..
..and music of course ..
Have to take up more practical hobbies these days to suit my physical condition..
Still collect coins and the like..
My passion for Satellite is just a natural extension of DXing on radio ...from my yoof ...
I will never forget that first thrill of hearing voices from overseas on Short Wave in my teens ...
Nor the happy years I spent running my homebrew transmitter just outside the medium wave ...until I got caught ..
along with about 12 other guys on our little network..
This all ties in with the latest branch of my desire to receive _everything_
Hence SDR ..
It's not so much the listening ...but the ability to be able to DO it that is important to me..
Sad sod aint I ...and that will never change..

I've had other hobbies along the way ..
I was quite a decent artist at one time ..
Sketched portraits and painted landscapes ...but again old age and illness catches up ...my hands and eyes have been somewhat forfeit.
I also wrote computer games for Comodore machines for a while ...
Not sure if it qualifies as a hobby ...
It did pay for my house tho' ..and certainly started out as a hobby ..
cest la vie