other uses for mini dishes

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Glad to hear it TB, another slight tweak that may work for you is the Skew on the LNB, it is normally set on either 2 or 3 for 28.2 operation, but needs to be set closer to the vertical for Hotbird, this may dramatically improve your quality. It should be adjusted by either taking the top off of the LNB case and lifting and moving, or by a screw underneath.

rolf

S

stringman_uk

So in theory I should be able to get Hotbird.

is there a listing of what channels I can get somewhere.

Also what encryption is used ( is this something that can be bypassed with a little Elvis work) ah ha ha ( little Elvis impression there)

Thanks again

Andy

TB

Reaction score
Cheers rolf, I dont know quite what you mean, theres a switch thing at the bottom which you flick back and fore, put it in the middle?

Andy yeah get a zone 2 dish, and if you live anywhere in the south of the UK you should get hotbird, most channels there in viacess or mediaguard which the king will indeed sort out for you!!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Kings alive ?

And living in England ?

Hot Dang !

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes from memory the Grundig sits in a plastic case and the Skew is simply adjusted by moving the cable connection neck to the left or the right. To find out which is the correct setting you will need to use trial and error. The LNB is designed for the UK market of Sky so caters for all required settings for successful operation in the UK ie around 25-32 degrees of skew, the best setting will probably be furthest to the right as you view from behind the LNB looking toward the dish ie, closer to vertical as the skew required for Hotbird is more than 15 degrees less (approximation only).

Rolf

TB

Reaction score
So I'm a bit pissed off, as mention in my other posts, my mate called me in and in my excitiment to see hotbird, I didnt tighten up the bolts properly, since then we've had a bit of wind and the dish moved other night, I presume. So yeaterday out the ladders come again, but I get nothing, ahhhhhhhhhh like last week I'm getting 80+% strenght and quality, now I can get anything, how can this be? Yeaterday all over the UK high pressure system, perfect skys, although anologe tv, was arwful still is picture all fuzzy like in the summer sometimes, would for the same reason this effect hotbird? I cant believe I didnt tighten the bolts, I was thinking all the time, better get up there and tighten them, but thought na it'll be ok, doh.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The weather shoudn't make that much difference TB, it may be that the elevation has dropped as well and you're not looking at the bird properly. If you continue to have real problems PM me and I can possibly arrange to loan you a sat beeper meter, they're only light so the postage won't be much.

Rolf

TB

Reaction score
Wow would you really do that rolf, I've 2 courseworks 2 finish by Thursday so no playing with dish till then, so I'll have another go on Thursday evening, and if no joy I may take you up on your offer!! Cheers fella

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No problem TB, if you need one just PM me with your mobile number and we can arrange it.

Rolf

geebee12

Reaction score
Hi all,
Having just read all the q+a on this topic, I am in a similar situation only I have a 80cm eliptical dish that I have used for D2mac on west 1.
Going by what I have read, if I hook my digibox up to my other dish,
what can I hope to receive?
Please excuse me if I sound stupid but I am new to this.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you mean to use the Sky Digibow then the channels are limited by both encryption and Symbol Rate, the digibox has a very limited selection of synbol rates.

If you're happy with free to air only there are a lot oc channels available on a range of satellites. Take a look at http://www.lyngsat.com or http://www.satcodx.com this will give you an idea of which satellite you should be looking at, you can then use an A/B Switch to alternate between the two.

The only cautions I would add are that the Digibox can only save non Sky channels in the other channels feature and you are limited to a relatively small amount, also the box does not like switching back to Sky from another satellite and will normally need to be reset after doing so.

Rolf

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
>The only cautions I would add are that the Digibox can only
>save non Sky channels in the other channels feature

Just to clarify :

Non Sky Channels cannot be stored except in the Other Channel Feature.

Sky Channels can also be stored in the Other Channel Feature.

I know what you meant though Rolf....

Best wishes for 2001 to all

Regards

W Hole

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I thought I was the only pedantic bugger around here. :)

Rolf

PS. Happy new year to all as well, probably be too hung over tomorrow to type it. :)