Outlook v Windows Mail

goffy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Which of these is the best? What are the diferences?

I have Windows Mail which came bundled in with my Vista but i have never used it. Should I try using it instead of Outlook Express?

Someone said it is much better but didnt say why.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
IMO,
They both do the same thing, send and receive mail. If that's all you want to do. Then there is no difference.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I use Windows Mail, but why, I don't know, well... it was just the first one I clicked on when setting up my new PC. It does the job, I have't noticed any difference between the two.

gerryl

Reaction score
depends what you want from mail both download the mail to a single PC if you don't have IMAP or setting modified...hence that is the only PC that you can access your mail...where as gmail or web based mail can be accessed from any PC anywhere!...there is a big advantage if you travel...worth consideration!...:)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
goffy said:
Which of these is the best? What are the diferences?

I have Windows Mail which came bundled in with my Vista but i have never used it. Should I try using it instead of Outlook Express?

Someone said it is much better but didnt say why.

As previously said it is a matter of preference and how you prefer to use it, however what intrigues me most is how did you manage to download a version of outlook express onto a Vista based PC? On the two installs I have done Vista quite categorically told me in no uncertain terms it no longer supports Outlook Express

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Perhaps he means Microsoft Outlook, part of the Office software.
I personally like the junk email filter in Windows Mail, and once I'd changed the defaults to automatically delete all email in the Junk folder, I've not been bothered by any spam.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Better still, is to have the email server automatically delete them, it saves having to download them in the first place.

Yes, I forgot about Outlook, I was trying to set up a new PC for a friend, Outlook was asking for the MS Office serial number, (which they had), but I just setup Windows Mail instead as it was quicker, and is bundled into Vista.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Outlook is a different beast altogether, Outlook Express and Windows Mail are just simple mail clients.

Outlook has lots of other "useful" features like a calendar, task reminder and other personal organizer type features.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
compufunk said:
Outlook is a different beast altogether, Outlook Express and Windows Mail are just simple mail clients.

Correct but only Outlook 2007 with Vista nothing prior to that, which I thought was appaling as a friend was upgrading from XP and Office XP to a new Vista PC but the Office XP will not work with Vista so he had to buy Office 2007, what a Bill Gates Ripoff
compufunk said:
Outlook has lots of other "useful" features like a calendar, task reminder and other personal organizer type features.

and that is only a small part of what Outlook will do, my wife uses nothing but to do all her work organising meetings, appointments, schedules, but I just collect my mail with it once I have checked it on-line

Sotos65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receivers: Edision Argus, Technomate TM-5300D+ USB, Skystar HD2
Dish: Tecatel 1.10X1.20
LNB: Sharp BS1REL100W
Sat motor: Moteck SG2100
PC: Cpu C2D E8400, 2GB.
My Location
Greece
I personally prefer Thunderbird (from Mozilla), it makes a nice duo with Firefox!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've used Outlook for years and like it, use it to pick up my Google mail by IMAP and my Hotmail by HTTP, plus my other pop3 accounts. Don't like these server based or integral spam filters, they are one of the reasons why huge numbers of our Emails don't get through to members, I use Cloudmark desktop for my spam management, send suspect Emails to a folder of your choice (I send them to deleted items), I can then add and remove items from the spam list. It is reactive and will spam Emails which have been marked as spam by other users, so you need to check very little.:)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Well, I'm not using Vista, cos its crap, but I prefer to use Outlook, I have Office2003, and it does have some decent junk filters, and of course it doesn't have the security flaws that Outlook Express had (and maybe still has), so it's far more secure... :)

Though I have to say, Microsoft's monopoly in this area is probably going to dominate all the other free options that are available, but still, the more we chip away at it, the smaller it gradually gets... :)

(and, ahem, my copy of office isn't exactly kosher... :cool: )

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
Well, I'm not using Vista, cos its crap,

I agree but people (friends and family) unfortunately still buy computers with it already loaded and then have the audacity to switch them on switch them on:cool:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
Well, I'm not using Vista, cos its crap,

I agree and don't use it myself, but people (friends and family) unfortunately still buy computers with it already loaded and then have the audacity to switch them on:cool:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Topper said:
I agree and don't use myself, but people (friends and family) unfortunately still buy computers with it already loaded and then have the audacity to switch them on:cool:

The only audacity I see is the manufacturers forcing people to buy Windows Vista, even if they don't use it (I.E. Wipe it off the face of the hard drive and install Linux or even Windows XP), it's a complete farce and quite fraudulent if you ask me... :mad:

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Given the choice, most Tech savy customers would ask the manufacturers for a PC with XP installed. Its a pity you dont get a choice.

I ran into this problem when ordering new PCs for work recently. We use in house software and drivers so I couldn't risk buying machines with Vista pre installed.

If you buy machines from Dell with Vista Business Edition installed, you get the option of downgrading to XP Pro, they charge you €25 for the privilege of downgrading :-rofl2 Its a crazy situation.

They install XP on the harddisk an give you Vista reinstallation disks.

I'm running Vista Home Premium on the laptop and I have to say, I'm happy enough with it since installing service pack 1. It fixed the bits that were annoying me. Its a pity it wont play nice with unsigned drivers though. That would be my main gripe.

goffy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes. I meant to say Outlook not Outlook Express.

So from what Rolfw says, it seems I could use one single mailbox address on Outlook (ie the adress provided by my ISP) but also set it to download my Yahoo Webmail. Does this mean I can divert several webmail accounts into the same inbox on Outlook?

I have only ever used webmail in the past so these mail clients are a mistery to me.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
goffy said:
So from what Rolfw says, it seems I could use one single mailbox address on Outlook (ie the adress provided by my ISP) but also set it to download my Yahoo Webmail.
Correct

goffy said:
Does this mean I can divert several webmail accounts into the same inbox on Outlook?
I'm not sure I know what you mean here, If you are asking if you can download mail from multiple accounts to your inbox, then yes you can as long as the mail provider allows this.

Some dont, e.g. Vodafone Ireland allow you to download mail from your inbox but not to send under your vadafone account. They way around this is to use a different SMTP server to relay the mail.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Some dont, e.g. Vodafone Ireland allow you to download mail from your inbox but not to send under your vadafone account. They way around this is to use a different SMTP server to relay the mail.
You could create a new rule to do this though... and move your inbound mail to any folder you like.

i know were talking about Outlook, and not Outlook express but....

You cant set up hotmail now on XP using outlook express, you get asked to use Windows live mail instead?
well it did when i formatted a friends PC and reinstalled his stuff :(

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
RedDevil_UK said:
You could create a new rule to do this though... and move your inbound mail to any folder you like.
You could, but this is not what I'm talking about. Vodafone wont allow you to use their SMTP servers unless you pay them for the privilege, meaning that you can download mail using POP3 but cant reply via SMTP.

RedDevil_UK said:
You cant set up hotmail now on XP using outlook express, you get asked to use Windows live mail instead?
Correct, Microsoft blocked users from using mail clients for hotmail a while back, I wasn't sure if that was still the case or not, as I never use it.