Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Bearing in mind the kerfuffle (nay, brouhaha) of a few months ago regarding delays in processing UK (inc. Scotland) Passport Applications and the fact we have a foreign holiday booked for the end of April, SWMBO posted her Passport Renewal last Saturday (27 Dec).

I was awoken from my siesta about an hour ago by a Courier delivering the new Passport.

Howzat!

gsteigwiler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020HD / DM800HD
Dream Elite 4.0
CCcam/Scam/gbox
Motorised 1Metre dish
Sony 40 inch Full HD TV
Vista Network
My Location
East Anglia
It's good news, we also could not understand all the problems that were being reported about passport office delays / backlogs in October, when ours were posted on the Wednesday 15th Oct and were returned to us on the Saturday 18th Oct.
So ours was not a blip, but great service like yours, well done to the Passport Office.

regards

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I suspect it was the usual Press generated mountain out of a molehill, probably due to a handful of disorganised and feckless citizens who left it all too late.

The Courier said they were asked to work Saturdays over Summer, but despite that he had delivered everything by Friday lunchtime each week and only heard one complaint ("Phew, I'm flying out tomorrow"!)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
£72.50, Martin.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Good to hear that they're responding so quickly as we will need to renew our passports next April.

As a matter of interest how did both of you send them in? Did you use the (fee required) Post Office service or did you fill in and send off the forms yourselves?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As the Renewal Form is now very much simplified and even the photos don't need to be certified, SWMBO took the Yorkshire residents approach and did it all herself. She asked me to look over it, but frankly it's now an elementary exercise.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Good to know. Is the application form downloadable on-line, Post Office available or what? (I know I could Google but, heck, I'm lazy and prefer to use others' experience).

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A.

1. Google! :rolleyes::D Passport Office

2. Fill in quick name & address field

3. Select number required

4. Wait for Postperson

And, as it's NYE, I've completed Step 1 for thee:

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

And, in doing so, I've just noticed you can fill in the Forms Online (But then print them out and add money/pics before posting by surface mail - I suppose the only advantage is neatness)

Or

B. Collect forms from Post Orifice. (Sorry, already on my second glass of Cava :oops:)

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Had a good chuckle with the link provided :-rofl2

There is a section for brit. nationals born before 2 sept 1929 to apply for a free passport.

Think that option should be universal not age dependent.

Free passports for British nationals born before 2 September 1929

https://www.gov.uk/free-passport

:D

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Interesting, last renewal I did was through the British consulate in Paris, though I understand they no longer issue passports. According to HM.GOV a passport application from France (which gets posted off to the UK) will take "at least 6 weeks" and costs £102 (one assumes the extra is for courier charges, though doesn't include the cost of posting it recorded from France)...

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Interesting, last renewal I did was through the British consulate in Paris, though I understand they no longer issue passports. According to HM.GOV a passport application from France (which gets posted off to the UK) will take "at least 6 weeks" and costs £102 (one assumes the extra is for courier charges, though doesn't include the cost of posting it recorded from France)...
My daughter renewed her passport last year from Galicia. Our local passport office is no longer Madrid but Belfast! Happy New Year/ Feliz Año to everyone.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Buon Capo d'Anno, innit.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
An update on our experience.

My wife nipped up to our local main Post Office for two application forms last weekend. This was quicker than ordering the forms online and there was no option of a downloadable form. We also decided not to apply online as this involved printing out a document at the end and then posting it in which would have ended up slower.

So, we filled the forms in on Saturday and had new photos taken. On Sunday we nipped over to Liverpool to the Passport Office. There was no letter box (of course!) but I managed to slide the envelope under the door. Yesterday (Saturday) we came home from shopping to find two packets containing our two new passports.

Five working days to process and send out replacements. Not too shabby at all.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
So, all that remains is to check they work: We're off to Murcia for a couple of weeks straddling the end of April/beginning of May.

And your good self?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Two weeks at Easter for us. Because our school now uses the standardised school terms, Easter** falls at the beginning of the two weeks holiday which means that we break up on Maundy Thursday and that we'll arrive down at our place on (Good) Friday evening. It does mean one extra day down there to work!

**Next year Easter is the weekend before the Spring Holiday so we'll have a long weekend off (Good Friday plus Easter Monday), back for four days and then off for two weeks. Barking!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I renewed mine on-line about four weeks ago and it was returned along with the old one within 10 days, it unfortunately all seemed a little bit too easy .:(

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ah, interesting that you had your old one returned as neither of ours were. We did wonder whether that was a new policy.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Paul, they are sent separately. SWMBO got her old one back quite a few days after the new one arrived.

Edit: Although Topper's post implies they came together, which doesn't conform to the system as I understood it.