Pace BSKYB3000 PVR1 sky+ stuck in standby

Chappers

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Hi,

Just acquired a Pace BSKYB 3000 sky+ box but it's stuck in standby. I've connected the hard drive to my computer and found it's a FAT32 filesystem and in fine condition, also tried other hard drives in the box to no avail. I'm thinking maybe it's not hard drive related because of the symptoms:

When I plug it in, the red standby light comes on AND the remote command light comes on as well. The green disc lights up also, none of these lights flash or anything, just steady on. If I press either the info, backup or tv guide buttons, all remaining lights on the front panel light up (play and record inside the green disc, and a yellow light and something else on the front).

I wouldn't have thought the remote command LED should always be on, and assume this to be a bad sign for the mainboard.

Has anyone else had the symptoms like these? Does anyone know if the remote command LED lighting up the whole time is an error light with a certain meaning?

Thanks,
James

Chappers

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
I've now discovered that although the standby LED remains red, the 'remote command' LED is permanently lit up and the green circle is lit constantly, it does actually come out of standby and I can use it normally with the remote control. However, trying to use any of the buttons on the front panel is impossible, they don't do what they're supposed to do and some do nothing. Back up, Info and TV Guide do nothing but cause the play and record symbols, message, and online LEDs to light up. The standby button rarely works and a couple of buttons supposed to do other things actually put the box in standby half the time. All functions are normal using the remote however. Very strange, never encountered this before. The remote command LED doesn't flash or anything when I use the remote.

Any ideas?

Incidentally, can't test recording as it says I have to upgrade my subscription. I currently have a subscription for the basic package and thought that was enough to use PVR? Don't tell me I'm expected to pay a monthly premium to record programmes, cos that ain't gonna happen.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You need to pair the card to the box and activate recording function by phoning Sky, no extra subscription required, but it won't work without, although whether it'll be worth the effort if the box is already giving problems is another thing.