Panasonic Blu-ray player question

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I found one of these players yesterday for a fiver, just the main unit.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/panasonic-sc-btt270-performance-and-verdict-page-3

It works, insofar as it plays older standard dvd discs and goes as far as the main page on anything more modern (Blurays) since there are limited functions from the panel buttons, no scrolling or actioning except play on the basic dvd. I also get the message that the network is active when the ethernet cable is plugged in.

I am now looking for a suitable remote for it but will I be able to carry out a firmware update beforehand (by burning a cd) or does this need functional buttons to navigate through menus ?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Wgen you say the main page on Blurays do you mean the Bluray disc's opening menu (if so a remote will help - virtually any modern Panasonic disc player remote should give most functions) OR a menu from the player (if so it is likely that the Bluray laser has died)? With a bluray you should be able to play it in the same way as a DVD without a remote. I do not have a Panasonic home theatre unit like this but have 6 different bluray and DVD players and recorders (inc the VHS/DVD combo and all respond to ech others remotes (although you can change modes on remotes and players to avoid conflict - if you use a remote witha different mode set to that on the remote the front display will tell you what mode the box is set to. To change mode on remote press and hlod for 5 seconds "Select/OK" and the appropriate mode number (usually 1 to 5)

Last edited:

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Found this, if it helps:
Code:
http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/bd/download/btt270/euro/

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Firmware update instructions - ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/hometheater/installation/sc-bt270_v159_installation.pdf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks, it does infer the network upgrade requires the -correct -remote control and the upgrade by disc is fully automatic.

I’ll have a go later thisafternoon

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Two steps forward, one step back

Update via burned disc runs fine, taking the 20 minutes as suggested, but no change to the operation when confronted with a BluRay disc with any more than just the simple menu. Anything that does not have 'play' as the first requirement cannot be accessed.

So, delving into the remote control bin, I found an olde DMR(740) DVR remote control which appears to have the same IR coding as the Home Theatre remote for the BluRay unit. Putting in the 2D version of the disc set (Life of Pi) and I can now play it on the large screen TV.

Trying out the 3D version and a warning comes up that it cannot be played on a standard 1080p screen, so I now need to look for a 3D screen and some glasses.

This in turn begs the question, how do people continue playing content from their library 3D collection when there is a screen fault that requires replacement, if the manufacturers have dropped the format/standard from their production lines ?