Partitions galore

A

Archive-8

My Lenovo PC had several pertitions when I first had it.

It was for Windows, recovery, 3 others that I don't think did any thing, and then the space I had as my c drive.

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany
@mickwig @Vipersan @Chris1979 perhaps I am not seeing straight but there are definitely three extra partitions and three unallocated amounts, but yes I have no intentions of doing anything with them but I just have never seen such a thing on a hard drive before

Yes Topper, you are right. I just checked my work notebook - Fujitsu Lifebook - also booting UEFI which has 3 extra partition besides the boot partition. These are used for recovery and the EFI boot partition. But the FujiBook has got an recovery DVD. Therefore it does not need any other patritions like your Sony notebook, which most likely did not come with the DVD. Therefore all necessary data for recovery must be preinstalled on the hard drive. One partition will hold the recovery programm, one partition holds the actual OS data, one partition holds the Sony specific software which is not a part of Windows like battery management etc. So when you press [F12] (or some key like that) on bootup, the recovery program starts and the uses the other partition to overwrite the C: partition. The unallocated space reults from the partition sizes not beeing optimized to use all the space available. This has to do with the way the disk is formatted in blocks and sectors, which are always a multiple of eight.

By the way, if you have not yet made a recovery DVD I would urge you to do so. If your HDD fails completely and you need to exchange the part there is no way of performing a recovery without either having made a DVD before or ordering one from Sony (probably at your expense).