PAS4/7

U

upl

Hi,
Is it possible to get Pas4/7 from south of England? What size dish required if motorised?
Many Thanks
Sun

jimmi

My Location
pj::
i have not tried yet, but i guess it is possible with dish size of 80cm or more, as the footprint of PAS4/7 certainly covers England.

reply from anyone who has tested will be much appreciated.

-----
jimmi

U

upl

Comeon guys Please test it for me as I have tried with 90 cm Dish but no luck. Signal in my area is very poor anyway.
upl

p

My Satellite Setup
90cm gregorian
5way zone2
My Location
Rainham, essex
Just tryed on my 90cm. My dish only just reaches there, but could recieve nothing, probably too low on the horizon..

Location East London.

Phil.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Very unlikely that anything will be received from this bird, as from southern England the elevation is only 1 degree or so. I'm not convinced the you would get a signal even if you were in a sufficiently elevated position. I believe this bird has a SE Asia and Australasia footprint so it probably doesn't transmit in this direction.

Rolf

2old4this

Honorary Admin
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Also note: the only regular Ku-band signals on the European spot beam disappeared a few months ago (they included Showtime, and later (briefly) Fox-News & part of the Star service).
So unless you happen to catch a feed, you won't have anything there to pick up however big your dish.

Even the old Showtime ku-band transmissions were only receivable on the Vertical transponders (same as Nilesat - the Horizontally polarised signals are much weaker in Europe). But for ther vertical ones, a 90cm dish would indeed have sufficed.

In fact, there used to be a ku-band analogue signal there too - Simayeh Somethingorother. But I think that's gone now too. For that, you needed a fairly hefty dish (1.2-1.5m).

Of course, there still is a lot of C-band on that satellite(including Multichoice) but for that you need a dish of upwards of 2m.

2old

U

upl

2old,
I am not doubting your intelligence but I just checked at lynsat and they are showing many feeds like multichoice Africa / SONY / B4U etc. Are they all on C band.
upl

2old4this

Honorary Admin
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Those channels are not feeds, they are mainstream regular broadasts. A feed is a signal not usually intended for general public consumption, usually sporadic and transient (typically a feed is used to transmit unedited news source from a remote location to a broadcaster's main base, or else for those "live, on location" segments in the news).

"C-band" is the band of frequencies between 3700 & 4200 MHz.

All the channels you mention are in that range - so yes, they are c-band.

By the way, the same channels ARE in Ku-band too, but those signals are carried on the South African spot beam (not receivable in Europe however big your dish...)

2old