Patriot 3.8m

........I have problem neighbour who reports everything so I need to make/buy something on wheels,......

So sorry to hear this but several peeps here have had/have experienced this situation.........best wishes to you with this 'blademedia'. respect-048.gif
 
Don't fancy the three-point alignment turn.
 
I would prefer to have full az-el with PC control to allow non-geo tracking and maybe moonbounce. BM's favourite, Prositel, looks good but too much for me. Amongst the SPID pictures on RF Ham Design's site is this one http://www.rfhamdesign.com/images/big245417a38b1270a135.jpg however, it does not look as heavy as my 3.8. I like the balanced approach shown in this data sheet from RFHamDesign although I'd rather it were made from something a bit heavier and rustproof. The balancing weight etc may push the vertical weight over 300kg which is getting more awkward. It will also be much easier to build the 3.8 bird bath style as per manual if it is on an az-el. Being able to park it in the bird bath position will also minimise wind loading.

Until something native to your region wants a bath after a hard day fishing
 

Attachments

  • pteranodonSD.webp
    pteranodonSD.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 28
Unfortunately the fixings, of which there must be thousands, are not stainless steel. Hmmm.
I spoke to the founder and original owner of Patriot yesterday, and he indicated that the normal Patriot products came with all-stainless steel fittings.

However, as with anything else in this world, some customers wanted to lower the price on certain configuration of the product.
This meant that some volume orders where not fitted with stainless steel fixings, but rather something he referred to as "galvazinced" or something like that.
I don't remember the exact term he used. Probably was a tradename from 20 years ago.

As I understood it, those dishes were typically used by tv networks that supplied regional tv systems in rural areas - the tv company provided dish as a downlink mechanism for receiving and distributing channels from a satellite package, and often gave the dish away without additional cost. But like Razors, where the handle (dish) is free because it really makes you buy the blades (tv programme redistro fees), the end customer always end up paying... :)

But because of this arrangement, the tv networks wanted as low cost hardware as possible, and low shipping costs. The PF Patriots were specifically designed to be shipped in compact form - hence the 16 petals and part-alu construction - and field-assembled by two persons without lifts or cranes, and also tp be assembled without need for fine tuning etc beyond the bolt-tightening procedure described in the manual. This matched the needs of the tv networks spot on, and at the height of the booming market, Patriot sold 3.8 meters by the container...
 
Last edited:
s-band,

Are you planning to use the 3.8m Patriot for "multi band" or will it be dedicated to a single band?

Rgds
 
Are you planning to use the 3.8m Patriot for "multi band" or will it be dedicated to a single band?
I guess start off with C & Ku but try anything and everything (L to Ka) as I have with the IRTE. It will need mods to the feed support and arms to give enough space for multi-band so, initially, it will be manual band change. If I manage to get full az-el with tracking I would like to play with moonbounce. There's a long way to go yet, though.
 
:eek:I wont be buying anything from them I was trying to get an idea on how much weight is needed to hold down a smaller dish and noticed the mount was similar to what is needed here, lets hope G lumped up then :)
 
You'll need a heavy wallet with Elite, they wanted over a grand for an OMT and feed for my Precision 1.2 dish!

I saw one of the reps at IBC yesterday, and yes they are more into feed and waveguide promotion than the spun aluminium (beat with broomstick) antenna designs to the sound of Kate Bush.


Ka Band Satcom Feeds | Elite Antennas
 
Last edited:
:eek:I wont be buying anything from them I was trying to get an idea on how much weight is needed to hold down a smaller dish and noticed the mount was similar to what is needed here, lets hope G lumped up then :)
I would get one if they would do it for the price that I paid for the dish.
I saw one of the reps at IBC yesterday, and yes they are more into feed and waveguide promotion than the spun aluminium (beat with broomstick) antenna designs to the sound of Kate Bush.

Ka Band Satcom Feeds | Elite Antennas

Maybe I'll get one of these: Motorised antennas for tracking, standby, failover and inclined orbit satellites | Elite Antennas - looks affordable

This Youtube link led me to to DH satellite's video


and then to their web site. I won't post a lot of links but have been browsing the mount designs. The manuals give a lot more detail and there are some decent resolution pictures throughout the site. Plenty of ideas.
Manuals
Mounts
 
I saw one of the reps at IBC yesterday, and yes they are more into feed and waveguide promotion than the spun aluminium (beat with broomstick) antenna designs to the sound of Kate Bush.


Ka Band Satcom Feeds | Elite Antennas



I can remember seeing all that when i went to collect my 2.2mtr from then Precision Antennas many moons ago, very interesting place. Kate Bush wasn't playing at the time though
 
Back
Top