PC can see STB via Ethernet, how to make STB see card Reader

dmaurice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sonicview 360 Elite PVR, iHub Ethernet dongle, Windows XP
My Location
Madagascar
Here's my set up: SonicView 360 Elite PVR connected to my pc via the iHub Ethernet adapter. I use WizNet software to change i.p., dns, etc. ok.

I have a CHIPDRIVE micro 100 card reader, which my PC sees just fine (RS232 to USB adapter). I have a licensed version of the Chipdrive Smartcard Commander software, Professional Edition.

I'm looking into obtaining a subscription that requires a Conax coded smart card - long story short: If I want English programming here in Madagascar, I need to subscribe to it. I'm ok with that. I'm already pointed at the desired satellite and can "see" both the encrypted and FTA channels. For me, only one of the FTA channels is desirable, the reason for a subscription.

Should I ditch my above mentioned set up and purchase a receiver with a built in Conax card reader OR is there some software "bridge" that will enable my CHIPDRIVE micro 100 card reader to work with a subscribed Conax card enabling my SonicView to decode since both are connected to my pc?

Looking forward to your expert advice, thanks.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hello dmaurice

Welcome to the forum

As with many things that are cobbled together one can only say for sure that it definitely works if the exact same pieces of kit are being used by someone else and it does work. The likelyhood of someone having the exact same setup as yours is limited. Often unless an stb is designed to work with a card reader no amount of fiddling will get it to work unless the software of the stb is designed with that in mind. Many stb's that incorporated a CI slot would not work with certain cams so my view would be to buy in an stb that is recommended by the card provider.

dmaurice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sonicview 360 Elite PVR, iHub Ethernet dongle, Windows XP
My Location
Madagascar
Sounds like a good recommendation to me, Topper. Thanks. I do like to tinker, however. I'll be looking into some Linux based receivers, so I'll take a trip over to that forum and start digging - ciao!