divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
erukus said:
What about the opposite way? is it possible to pick up bskyb in the west of America I am wondering if I would ever be able to pick up RTE irish station on BskyB if I eventually move to west coast America or Canada?

Astra 2 is hidden from view in USA/Canada. It's below the horizon.
When you move to the west of America, you'll need a fast internet connection. Then you'll have an internet video phone link and you can see your satellite receiver (back in the uk in your best friend's house) and "tell" the sat box or cable box what to do, for example, to display bbc1 ulster on your television. But you'll not be watching bbc1 with webcam quality, but rather with near Blu-ray disc quality:)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
Hi to all
in Tenerief the guy was receiving dish net test .
i have a dish net lnb which is different than the europian lnb and if the weather is good on sunday i will try some tests.
i have the articale posted fron the new tele-satellite mag,
its on the 61.5 degree topic posted over the last several days.
sling tv service is available from sling hosting services in the usa.
they started at $300 per month and in my research i have found it down to $90 per month.
sling uses mpeg4-2 which is good if you have a good internet connection.
the hosting componies stream at 2 magbits/sec and if you can hook up with 1.5 mega bits the picture should be good.
taiwan has the new digizon box as well.their box is supposed to be better than sling box and if they are using mpeg4-10 same as h264 the quality should be 15% better on fast moving sports.
the box is a stand alone box and does not need a computer to watch tv.
like the sling solo.
i have not found any tests between the sling and diizon side by side test as of yet to see which one has the better picture.
i'll keep looking.
well thats all the news for now.
ralph:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
netwhizkid said:
US TV has been caught on the far western tip of Ireland on a large satellite dish a few times. It is the thread above this one. There is a service for the US Army in Europe but I 'd suppose it is propriety to the US Military.

American Forces Network on 13E. Active decoders for that are rare beasts indeed - Ive seen maybe a dozen advertised in 10 years, although two were very recent..

divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
Analoguesat said:
American Forces Network on 13E. Active decoders for that are rare beasts indeed - Ive seen maybe a dozen advertised in 10 years, although two were very recent..

Thanks for that info, Analoguesat:cool: Money talks, the AFN decoder walks:-rofl2
Do you know what the situation is with BFBS1 and BFBS2 etc., British Forces tv with Eutelsat widebeam footprint. Can I buy a card in Gibraltar, Cyprus or wherever they are? Whom to buy it from?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
One of the AFN adverts was here on the sats forum - have a look in the classifieds section - you might find its still for sale.

Forget BFBS unless you intend to join the British Armed forces. :D

Those cards are just about as rare as the AFN decoders - Ive only ever seen a card offered on c/s once!

p

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm gregorian
5way zone2
My Location
Rainham, essex
Msnbc @ 15w 11532h 3200

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
p said:
Msnbc @ 15w 11532h 3200

Hardly comes under the category of American TV, a single channel, there are always the odd feeds knocking about but still nothing useful, receivable on a permanent basis in Europe as already mentioned.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hi there!
good morning,there is also fox news,in sky digital package,but i think,it is,on other satelites,also scrambled! like on 68,5 my tv package from africa for example!

most of the american tv content,we have also in our european channels,like discovery ,cnn for sure!
abc comes in the night,broadcast on sky news,or somtimes cbs,and all,documentarys,on the discovery net work,comes from usa!
so there is no "real"reason to miss usa tv here!

we can be lucky,that we have in europe,the best fta tv choice worldwide,in asia,or austrialia,there,is only maybe 1/3,of the tv choice!

p

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm gregorian
5way zone2
My Location
Rainham, essex
Topper said:
Hardly comes under the category of American TV, a single channel, there are always the odd feeds knocking about but still nothing useful, receivable on a permanent basis in Europe as already mentioned.

its american and TV, would say its there most of the time, oh missed it being mentioned, did read the thread and thought it strange no one had mentioned it

Satcom1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Meter Primestar Elliptical C/KU. Twinhan 1025 PCI(Linux), Coolsat 6000, Winegard 76 cm dish. 8' Unimesh, HCC9300 Receiver.
Diamond 9000 HD, 1m prime focus, 1.2 m prime focus, both on C Band.
My Location
Chicago
mick2me said:
Are there any sats that transmit any US TV particularly regional news, that can be received in the Central UK?

I would particularly like to pick up California, Nevada or Florida news

Have you tried ProgDVB Internet TV?

It is free and works well, even on DSL ISP.

Just download Prog's most recent version from his website and you have lots of TV from many places in the world. :cool:

"http://progdvb.com" is the site.

Best Regards

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
look also on w+ww.vtuner.com

many channels form all over the world!
some reqeired the real media player !

skyoutUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8m, Lenson Heat 80cm triple feed 13° 19° & 28°, Triax TD110 with Jeager SuperJack, sky+ Pace v2, Panasonic TU-DSB20, Humax 5400, no name FTA and heap of old analogue receivers
My Location
right next to the big dish
Topper said:

nothing useful, receivable on a permanent basis?! MSNBC and NBC on Telstar are available 99% of the time and have been for past 5-6 years (even during last Olympics in China!) NBC national feed (including entire primetime, late night, daytime and mornig slot) is very occasionally unavailable and MSNBC is almost 100% on!

CBS News and Late Show are on Eutelsat 16E permanently also for past 5-6 years if not even longer.

Indirectly entire news lineup from CBS and ABC including morning shows, evening news and documentaries are rebroadcast on MBC2 and have been for past few years. Also on MBC2 there are live shows like Oscars, Emmys, Grammys etc.

I'd call that useful and permanent.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
- MBC 2 is not viable for most folk in the UK due to the largish dish required,
-15W is low powered
- most folks want a bit more than a couple of badly timed programmes a day - they are looking for the full monty with full schedules.

skyoutUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8m, Lenson Heat 80cm triple feed 13° 19° & 28°, Triax TD110 with Jeager SuperJack, sky+ Pace v2, Panasonic TU-DSB20, Humax 5400, no name FTA and heap of old analogue receivers
My Location
right next to the big dish
Analoguesat said:
- MBC 2 is not viable for most folk in the UK due to the largish dish required,
-15W is low powered
- most folks want a bit more than a couple of badly timed programmes a day - they are looking for the full monty with full schedules.

NBC and CBS feeds are shown live east coast time (GMT+5) and their schedules are easily found on the internet.

Small correction: I meant MBC4 instead of MBC2 in my earlier post. MBC2 is FTA movie channel they both have full EPG in english.

I know it's not much or convenient for most people but if you are US TV enthusiast at least all 3 major networks are available over satellite and this is fringe reception after all :)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello to all,
i install AFN systems here in naples.the decoders are on loan from the base and the american military member must turn it back in when they leave.AFN is available all over the world on different satellites.
most of the tv programs are 6 months behind the usa,the sports and current and live.
the picture quality is not the gretest mpeg-2 and about 3 megebits/sec.
i have also installed BSFS systems as well more sports feeds from sky sports there but most of the programing is a week or 2 behind the UK.
sports are live
have a orbit system as well and all programing is english with aribic subtitles will be geting rid if that soon.
sling box information:
this uses mpeg-4 part 2 and we did a test for a day with the usa.
a hosting service wants $99 per month ,$45 for the dish network $200 set up on the sling box and a 2 year contract.
first the test: we tested the internet i have here and 3.8 meg down load and 270k/s upload.
the guy in the usa sent me the softwere for the test and optomized my computer.
we locked in and it ran at 900k/sec.
then he took control of the computer and did some changes ,the rep. was in France at the time and when he was done the rate went to 1.5 meg/sec.
on a scale of 1 to 10 we were looking at 7. the picture would stop frame every minute or so then jump 2 seconds ahead to catch up
i would say sling in in the ballpark put no up to the plate.
they clearly need mpeg-4 part 10 or h264 and no jumps at all.
i recorded nancy drew on hbo and looked at it as well about 10 hours worth.
next test will be the digizon system it is newer and runs mpeg 4-10
i'll keep you informed.

satpro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD
My Location
UK
I have looked in to this before the best options for usa tv are Orbit network, AFN, C-band and the odd feed, That is it

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello to all,
on the subject of AFN tv service we install them here in italy.
located on the 13 degree hotbird they have 8 tv channels
there are 10 AFN prime channels for all the local news in all the europian areas.
these cover regular programing and local 20 min news.
so channel 11 to 20 are the same tv shows as channel2 eccept the 20 min a day of news.
scientific atlanta was supposed to have these boxes defult to local afn with respect to the the member's post box address and they could't figure this out.
also the tv guide stopped working several years ago as well.
sling box info:
i ran some tests with a hosting provider in the USA and it didn't go well.

first we tested out internet and down load here in italy was 3.7 megbits/sec.
upload is about 250k/s.
then the host provider had me down load sling softwere on the pc.
we hooked up with HBO in the usa.
hook up speed was 900k/sec.
after that i watched this and the picture was stopping for 2 seconds and it would catch up and stop again.
the man on the other end took control of my computer and did some adjustments on my computer on his end and we hooked up at about 1.5 megb/sec.
quality was the same and still blocking.
looking at this test i would say sling needs to go to mpeg-4-10 or h264.
on a scale of 1 to 10 this is about 7.5.
i will be testing the digizon system soon and it is a copy of sling box but using h264. if this runs on i'll let you know.
i did not get a chance to test sling hd yet .
the hosting in the usa wants $99 per month plus contract with direct tv will run $45 extra .
thats all the info for now