Picture scrambles every few seconds despite good signal!

blackninja

Reaction score
Hello. I've recently been encountering problems with the picture on my Smart Centurio CI receiver. I first noticed when watching TPS on 13 East. Presuming the dish had been blown in a certain direction I checked the signal strength, but it was still the usual 85-90%: I usually get a clear smooth picture even at 70%. I checked other satellites: Astra 1, at 100% signal strength, was the same. Astra 2, at around 90% signal strength, was mostly the same but I noticed that L!ve TV and the Zee channels (all on the same frequency) ran smoothly.

Has this ever happened with anyone else's receivers? Is there a solution to it?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
blackninja said:
Hello. I've recently been encountering problems with the picture on my Smart Centurio CI receiver. I first noticed when watching TPS on 13 East. Presuming the dish had been blown in a certain direction I checked the signal strength, but it was still the usual 85-90%: I usually get a clear smooth picture even at 70%. I checked other satellites: Astra 1, at 100% signal strength, was the same. Astra 2, at around 90% signal strength, was mostly the same but I noticed that L!ve TV and the Zee channels (all on the same frequency) ran smoothly.

Has this ever happened with anyone else's receivers? Is there a solution to it?

This happened to me a few weeks ago and i thought it was a key changed after a lot of messing about i just rebooted the receiver and it worked then. Happened the other day as well and done the same thing and sorted it again.

blackninja

Reaction score
john_graydon said:
This happened to me a few weeks ago and i thought it was a key changed after a lot of messing about i just rebooted the receiver and it worked then. Happened the other day as well and done the same thing and sorted it again.

Thanks. When you say reboot do you mean switch it off at the mainsthen back on again?

(BTW Just tried the same dish with my Sky Box and the picture's fine.)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
blackninja said:
Thanks. When you say reboot do you mean switch it off at the mainsthen back on again?

(BTW Just tried the same dish with my Sky Box and the picture's fine.)
On my receiver there are buttons to do this but yes unplug it wait a while and switch it back on. My tps was ok when this happened only MVs where going in and out with a few others. Is this the same with you?

blackninja

Reaction score
john_graydon said:
On my receiver there are buttons to do this but yes unplug it wait a while and switch it back on. My tps was ok when this happened only MVs where going in and out with a few others. Is this the same with you?

Tried switching it off for a few minutes. Both TPS and multivision are still in and out, although multi does it more frequently (TPS maybe every 30 secs to a minute). However other Hotbird channels like ZDF are OK. Don't think it's my Cam, because FTA 28 East channels like BBC 1 North West are doing the same. All very strange. Was fine until recently and I don't think I've bashed the reciever around or anything. The Liverpool-Tottenham game on TPS Star today was infuriating (in more ways than one). Tempted to buy a new receiver but I'm a bit short on cash at the mo.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
blackninja said:
Tried switching it off for a few minutes. Both TPS and multivision are still in and out, although multi does it more frequently (TPS maybe every 30 secs to a minute). However other Hotbird channels like ZDF are OK. Don't think it's my Cam, because FTA 28 East channels like BBC 1 North West are doing the same. All very strange. Was fine until recently and I don't think I've bashed the reciever around or anything. The Liverpool-Tottenham game on TPS Star today was infuriating (in more ways than one). Tempted to buy a new receiver but I'm a bit short on cash at the mo.

Strange so. What about re prog your cam?? Might work.

blackninja

Reaction score
john_graydon said:
Strange so. What about re prog your cam?? Might work.

You mean put the FreeCam 2.020 file back on my FreeCam? (sorry - despite being over 100 posts I'm still a fairly clueless person.)

Could be the Cam but makes me wonder why BBC 1, which is FTA on 28 East, was doing the same (baring in mind it didn't do this with the Sky Digibox).

Will try though. Thanks for your help.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
blackninja said:
(sorry - despite being over 100 posts I'm still a fairly clueless person.).

Join the club!

Have you changed anything since it was last working?

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Hello peeps.

I'm getting all tps and mv fine, but can anyone tell me if english (original) soundtrack is still available on tps - i'm only getting french at the moment on all tps channels.

Have had to swap a dodgy Fortecstar Ultimate receiver for an Ultra so don't know whether it's tps or new receiver config. Any ideas?

Yorks :-newb

blackninja

Reaction score
I tried reloading the FreeCam 2.020 file onto my Irdeto Cam. Still the same!

gameboy said:
Join the club!

Have you changed anything since it was last working?

As far as I can remember I haven't strictly changed anything. The only thing I can think that I may have done to the receiver is that whilst using a smart priority switch I kept unplugging it in order to get a signal on the Sky receiver (with a Diseqc switch at the dishes end). I then used a loopthrough from the Smart centurio to the Sky box. Now having gone through the long and painstaking process of feeding a separate cable from the dish to my bedroom (having got sick of the switch technique) I find the problem's only got worse!

Just tried my Seca Cam with the remaining Sky Italia channels. Certain frequencies run smoothly. However others e.g. the MTV frequency, scramble every so often, although not quite as bad as Multivision. Similar scrambling occurs with my FreeCam Opos xin1 and these Sky Italia channels, so I don't think it's a problem with Cams or cards, particularly seeing as certain FTA channels are doing this. I can't work out why certain frequencies run smoothly and others don't, despite coming up as having better signals. Hopefully it's a temporary thing.

blackninja

Reaction score
Would it be worth having a fiddle with my LNB? Or is it time to buy a new receiver?

McDude

Reaction score
I used to occassionally get the same problem and after lots of messing about i found out it was my bloody home digital phone that was causing the problem!!

blackninja

Reaction score
McDude said:
I used to occassionally get the same problem and after lots of messing about i found out it was my bloody home digital phone that was causing the problem!!

I just switched the BT digital phone off at the mains and I think you might be right. Thanks a mil McDude! You may just have saved me a fair bit of money! How did you get round the problem (without having the phone switched off all the time)?

blackninja

Reaction score
Hmmm very strange. I just switched the phone off as I did earlier but the problem's still there. It did improve when I switched it off earlier however and I was wondering how you tackled the phone/satellite picture problem McDude?