Please help a newbie...

nghozzi

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Well, I made the jump and bought the Relook 400S. Although I'm used to play with sat receivers, this Linux stuff is a new thing 2 me. So, as you may guess, I have some 14953 questions for u although I already spent some sleepless nights trying to figure it out by myself and searching the forums :-) But I'll try to stick to the most important ones (4 the time being):

1/ Installation:
1-1: I have tried two different Disecq positioners (Superjack and Aston models) and both have different responses to the relook movement commands, but both do not work properly. Are there some major incompatibilities with some models, or is it me that is doing something wrong. BTW, I've been using one of the Aston one for 4 years now, So I have a good idea on how to configure it.
1-2: What is the logic in using the 2 tuners? I thought that I'll be using them as using two separate receivers. But, apparently, it's not that. So how can I choose which tuner to watch? Or isn't it possible? And how to watch one channel, and record another? Should they be each in a different tuner, or can they be on the same one?
1-3: What are the types of the embedded card readers in the Relook 400s? What encryption are they for? And are they exclusively for official subscription cards? Should we face the card connectors to the bottom or to the top? (stupid question I guess). Is there a priority for which one to use, the top first or the bottom one?

2/ Linux Receivers Basics:
2-1 Can you please define me as clearly as possible the following terms and their concept:
a. EMU
b. Plugin
c. Script
d. Skin
e. CVS
2-2 I know that these are used in the dreamboxes. So what is the compatibility? Are all of them compatible with each other? (all models of dreamboxes and of Relook alike?) Or are they compatible based on the model? (Relook 400, Mutant, DB 7000, DB 7020???) If so what are those compatible with the Relook 400s?
2-3 What are the different folders in the directory structure of the relook 400s that can interest me, a beginner? What can we do in them? Is it the same structure 4 all image types? Is it the same as the Dreamboxes?

3/ Images:
3-1: What are the main unofficial images around 4 the Relook 400s?
3-2: What are the main differences?
3-3: What are the most popular?
3-4: Most stable?
3-5: Do the EMUs, Plugins, Scripts, skins, and eventually other similar stuff dependant on the image type and version or not?
3-6: What is the main benefit of the web interface?
3-7: I saw that the 400s can be configured to access the internet. Is this for installing images updates? If so, is it only the official image or can it be anyone (depending on the accessibility of such images in a fixed address I guess?!) Is it used for getting the EPG or is this downloaded from the satellite (especially the smart EPG feature which, as far as I understood it, gets all the EPG info for all channels on all configured satellites without having to move to them 1 by 1 - correct me if I'm wrong)

Well I guess I have to stop now, otherwise no one will be encouraged to reply ;-p

Thanx to all of u in advance..

mazen_094

Reaction score
Hi m8,

Sorry for the terribly late reply. But I have recently bought mutant 200s which is a kin of your receiver.

As a linux expert I can answer most of your questions although I am new to this box (like what you were about 4 years ago).

The key to answer ANY of your question is to think about your box as a computer and not a receiver device. And so all the terms used in the linux world are mostly used here. So if you have any question in the future just think linux first before going too far.

1- Image: is chunk of data usually saved on your receiver flash (ROM). It represents a verbatim of another receiver's flash bit for bit. The image can be a photocopy of all the memory or a part of it depending on the name of the image.
2- script: Is a set of instruction written in linux OS to perform some activity. Pretty much the same as the DOS batch files. Just another name for batch files but in linux literature.
3- EMU this is not a linux term and stands for: emulator. It emulates a real smart card so it works in a way such that the receiver thinks there is a real smart card plugged into it wehre this is not the case. How it works? Well, it either runs the same coding algorithm or takes the right code from somewhere else in the world over the net to open scrambled channels using some client/server arrangement. Beware: this is illegal in many countries.
4- plugins: again... a computery term the same as your internet browser or you OS automatically downloads plugins to add some new function. Also your STB needs some plugins to add new functions to it which can be for network sharing starting a new network service.

I hope this information is useful to you and please write me back if you need more.

I suppose you are now more educated about the relook stuff after 4 years from posting this thread.