Please help ...

glynn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax hb1000s
My Location
lancs
Hi all,
I have a Humax sb1000s and in the past few days it has started to have problems.
Despite doing factory resets etc it won't receive certain channels i.e. itv 1,2,3 etc but it WILL get itv 2+1 for some strange reason.

It Will however receive ALL channels if I switch it to std mode, but then I lose the EPG.
I have substituted the Humax with a borrowed Maxxview unit and that works fine.
Any ideas please ?.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Pop the top off & have a look for bulging capacitors in the power supply area?

A

archive10

Hi all,
I have a Humax sb1000s and in the past few days it has started to have problems.
Despite doing factory resets etc it won't receive certain channels i.e. itv 1,2,3 etc but it WILL get itv 2+1 for some strange reason.

It Will however receive ALL channels if I switch it to std mode, but then I lose the EPG.
I have substituted the Humax with a borrowed Maxxview unit and that works fine.
Any ideas please ?.
Difficult to off-the-bat diagnose your box.

But ITV2,3,4 are all on vertical (V) transponders, as is ITV Granada (HD) (for Lancashire - if you entered your postcode in the box).
ITV 2+1 is on a horisontal transponder, as is a range of the other local ITV channels.

A reasonable guess is that you have a problem with vertical polarised transponders, whereas horizontals work.

BBC North West (for Lancashire) is on a horisontal transponder, as is BBC2, 3, and 4.
In contrast, BBC parliament is on a vertical, so if you can't get that, your verticals are off.
check http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-2E-2F.html

If this IS the case, it could be due to a failing LNB. Or bad aligment.
Is the Maxxview a Freesat box? If not, it works for the above reasons. Or it could be set up with a different post code.
It can of course also be a problem with the box, but LNB is easy to test.

Again - I am just guessing, worth checking if it is all the verticals that are gone.

glynn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax hb1000s
My Location
lancs
Yes but why is it I can receive ALL channels in STB mode ?.

A

archive10

Yes but why is it I can receive ALL channels in STB mode ?.
One reason could be that going into Freesat mode makes channel mapping follow your postcode, mapping regional version of e.g. ITV and BBC onto your ITV1 and BBC1 locations. This could mean that you are seeing different transponders than when in STB mode.
Are you sure ALL channels work in STB mode? Can you receive BBC parliament, E4, and more4 in only STB mode too?
If you can, there's something fishy with the setup. Can you post some pics of the box with attached cablling, and the dish/LNB?

glynn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax hb1000s
My Location
lancs
Theres not much point of pics, it's just two boxes each having a cable attached.
Like I said the Maxview gets all channels & the Humax gets all horizontal channels in freest mode and ALL channels in national mode.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That suggests theres nothing wrong with the lnb & cabling.

UNLESS you are using a second port on the lnb for the Humax - its not unknown for one to go bad, but if you are using the same cable & swapping the receivers over then the Humax is gubbed.

If you are using a twin port lnb change the cable feeds to the rx's over & see if it it moves receiver.

A

archive10

Theres not much point of pics, it's just two boxes each having a cable attached.
Like I said the Maxview gets all channels & the Humax gets all horizontal channels in freest mode and ALL channels in national mode.
Sorry my friend, but, there IS very much point in pics - it is often clear what cables are connected where, and how.
Beyond what you told us now, there is little I can advise on. I am 1000 km from you, and have nothing to go on but your messages.
At this point, all I can offer is a) live with the box in "national" mode, or b) get a new one and see if that fixes the problem.

glynn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax hb1000s
My Location
lancs
Fixed it, it was the LNB.
Many thanks for all your help.
I didn't realise that some channels on Freesat use horizontal wheres as elsewhere they use vertical.