Please quick answer with quatro lnb

Maksat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100 cm Dish,Two Lnbs Humax Via-Fox+ Electron 900R
My Location
London
Hi all
In our block some company fitted a communal dish with quatro lnb to receive Hotbird. The problem is that we only receive horizental transponders. I had a look at the wiring to find no multiswitch but only one H/H line out of the quatro lnb taken into an amplifire( Televes only one in one out enabled on it .
then the cable is fitted into a spliting plate and taken down the floors. between this there are 4 modulator used for the Astra dish and Tv arial and splited in the same way.
My question is, since this company no longer exist and without going through manipulation with this awkward connctions , do you think it is possible to connect the other H/V line from the quatro lnb to a discque switch will enable us to receive both V & H polarization? I tried normal universal lnb and strangely it only gave vertical. In general can we connect another dish with disecqe switch to any line with the quatro lnb? i have searched most of this forum but coulden't find similar answers. your replies are most appreciated, Thanks in advance

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi Maksat,
I removed the link as there was no image and it shouldn't be a live link.
Can you please take, and post, some photographs or drawing of the set up, or post some more details.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As Mickha says, we need some diagrams and pictures, as the setup really doesn't make much sense.

A quattro LNB is near useless without a multiswitch.

Maksat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Hi Mickha, sorry the link is not working but i copied the picture link from the site hope this works
this is the Amplifire fitted where one in is enabled and one out taken to (may be a"modulator" four of the following image:[IMG] is connected to each other, then the cable is fixed to a silver plate on a wall and taken down to the floors. All of the items above are electrical-powerd. If the links are not working i'll try to take my own photos of the system at other time as no access this weekend. However do you think so far you can come up with an idea on the quatro lnb with disecqu questions in general. Thanks
The Modulator link [url]http://www.televes.com/ingles/producto/fotos.php?refe=5802[/url]
The amplifire Link: [url]http://www.televes.com/ingles/producto/fotos.php?refe=5399[/url]

Maksat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Thanks for joining Roflw much honoured by your replies. I also beleive this is the most ripp off I have ever seen I assure you there is not any multi switch fitted. I presume the company wanted to put just an aerial system with Astra and hotbird with the least wiring knowing already of supplying Horizental from the hotbird and vertical from astra. Again based on this flimsy connection do you think a discque will join the two polarization or just is a laughable question

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
How many subscriber feeds are there in total?

What are your viewing requirements?

Is there any protective earth bonding in place?

How easy is it to install a switch?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Maksat said:
Thanks for joining Roflw much honoured by your replies. I also beleive this is the most ripp off I have ever seen I assure you there is not any multi switch fitted. I presume the company wanted to put just an aerial system with Astra and hotbird with the least wiring knowing already of supplying Horizental from the hotbird and vertical from astra. Again based on this flimsy connection do you think a discque will join the two polarization or just is a laughable question

A Diseqc switch could be used to join two polarisations (switch between them really) but it is an impractical way to do it, as the polarision is normally controlled by the LNB voltage automatically, not by setting a Diseqc switch.

Perhaps you could draw a sketch of the system as suggested before and post it, someone may be able to suggest a proper system layout using multiswitches.

Robbo:)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If there is only one cable between dish and first breakout, then you are only going to receive one polarity, on one band.

DiSEqC does not allow polarity change if there is a fixed port LNB on the roof.

You need three more cables at least, however if you upgrade to another four port independent LNB you could run four receivers with full polarity control.

So the question is - how likely is it you can get some more cabling in ?

Maksat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
When experts join the discussion it realy enrich it with ideas, thats why this forum is successful. Long before I join this site I used to read most of your posts. Thus I am convinced and impressed of your experties. Today although we have not reached a conclusion but I am quite happy with your replies so far and have hope for a solution. Now the wider picture is that we have two 1m communal dishes and a tv aerial . I think it is earthed. These are connected and distributed as explained above without multiswitch to about 22 flats only receiving Hotbird horizental. So one cabel from High horizantal(HH) from quatro lnb into an amplifire into an F clamp splitter and down the floor where it also splited to go to the flats on each floor. I am working on a diagram from real exact parts photos found on one site. All residents are happy to stick with the Hotbird but on both polarity V+H. Owner is not willing to accept rewiring or spent extra money. But agreed for few of us to work on one dish only( the hotbird). Our budget is bit tight so we wanted to seek your advice on the cheepest way we can view Hotbird normaly. I believe Robbo thinks it is possible to take another cable from the quatro lnb V/H in addition to the H/H and connect it to a Diseqc ports and then to the main cable. Did I get this right? if not then we may be able to fit a small multiswitch take into it four cables from the quatro and one out which is already amplified, splitted and taken down to floors!

Maksat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
I made this with Paint hope the image is clear. In This draw I only lined the Hotbird cable full connection as I saw it. I didn't draw The other two cables (Astra& Aerial), If you need further explanation just ask
View attachment 15547

Attachments

• Diagram resized4.jpg
    Diagram resized4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 62

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Are you sure no one has tampered with the system OR taken any parts out.

What is the 5802 modulators modulating?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would prefer to see photos of the actual equipment, as satelliteman says, some elements must have been removed. You cannot distribute satellite IF without a multiswitch. The amplifier you show is a SMATV amp, with five band inputs, none of which would be IF.

Modulators would only be used if they were being fed from a satellite receiver or CCTV camera at the head end.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Maksat said:
I believe Robbo thinks it is possible to take another cable from the quatro lnb V/H in addition to the H/H and connect it to a Diseqc ports and then to the main cable. Did I get this right? if not then we may be able to fit a small multiswitch take into it four cables from the quatro and one out which is already amplified, splitted and taken down to floors!

Sorry, I was saying that it was impractical, don't do it with the Diseqc switch.

Multi-switches are the way to go. I don't have the expertise to say how to wire it up, but now you might have provided just enough info I think, that it is possible.

At a guess, I think you would need to run all 4 outputs from the Quattro LNB to a 5 in 5 out IF amplifier, then to a 5 in 10 out IF splitter, then run these to two 5 in 12 out multi-switches, to provide up to 24 IF switchable outputs with all 4 IF combinations switchable from the receiver. Total cost for parts around UK£400. Note this is just based on theory and not experience in this field.

Here is an article from Spaun for two satellites, 24 TVs using cascadable multiswitches:-

_http://www.spaun.de/files/d43e7_de_ske11s159a.pdf

Looks interesting.

Robbo :)

Maksat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Hopefully I will get the actual photos it would be interesting to see. When the porter opened that room on the roof I was expexting a Multiswitch with the normal wiring. To my shock that what I saw the diagram is 80% true. I don't think anyone tampered with the equipment. Thats why I was asking if we could do any thing on the roof with the almost empty quatro lnb apart from the H/H cable.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

I thought of this quote when I was drawing a diagram at 4:30 am

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Maksat said:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

I thought of this quote when I was drawing a diagram at 4:30 am

No I think not our esteemed Admin Channel Hopper has had that signature for many years, I suspect your cerebral cortex has been implanted with this pearl of wisdom whilst you were lurking on the forum

Maksat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Hi again, So based on the awkward connection and ditribution (diagram above) what result can I get if I install a new dish (lets say astra 19.2) with normal lnb and connect it with diseqc with the existing Hotbird lnb and use the main cable that is going down. any ideas

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unless you are only going to feed your apartment, you cannot get any results, you cannot distribute the satellite signal without the use of a multiswitch, DiseqC switching is for switching between satellites on a single receiver, not for distribution.