Pole for 1M dish?

digisatman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to setup a motorized system in back garden, pole will be planted in grass at ground level. Got a couple of questions,

1. Which size of pole is reccomended for 100/110cm dish?, 10 foot?

2. Any reccomendations of where to get required pole?

3. Whats the best way of securing it in the grass?

Thanks,

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

1. 10 foot seems too long, unless you want it way off the ground. There is a previous thread:-
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...sed-systems/98374-ground-mounting-advice.html where an 8 foot pole was used, 4ft in, 4ft out.

2. Get the pole from a local scaffholder (2inch diameter). I bought one to make a line pole (10ft), I think I paid a tenner.

3. Concrete it in, bit like a fence post, but must be perfectly vertical.

Alternatively you could use a ground stand on a concrete pad.

The height off the ground for the dish will depend on what obstructions you need to overcome. So the first thing you need to do is establish that.

cheers
robbo

johnwilliam1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
digisatman said:
Hi all,

Looking to setup a motorized system in back garden, pole will be planted in grass at ground level. Got a couple of questions,

1. Which size of pole is reccomended for 100/110cm dish?, 10 foot?

2. Any reccomendations of where to get required pole?

3. Whats the best way of securing it in the grass?

Thanks,

i have 3 poles in my back garden, 1 pole 3'' diameter was roughly 8ft height 4ft is in the ground and 4ft above that was used for a 1.6 sat dish, my other 2 poles are 2'' diameter they are used for 1.1 or 88cm dishes, they are both roughly 2and half to 3ft in the ground with about one being 4ft above ground and one being 8ft above ground which can also be used for a washing pole with the sat dish being very near the ground thats the 88cm pointed at badr with the mbc at roughly 62% from the north east uk. about 7ft is your size for the 1.1 no bigger, that will be the buisness

digisatman

Reaction score
alot of obstructions, so i need atleast 6.5 foot out, how many foot IN would i need to have a solid base?

Thanks

johnwilliam1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
digisatman said:
alot of obstructions, so i need atleast 6.5 foot out, how many foot IN would i need to have a solid base?

Thanks

about 3ft to 3 and a half in that will do

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
For concrete fence posts the amount buried in the ground is normally 1/4 of the post's total length. Mine are like this and they are rock solid, with soil plus chalk underneath.

So with a 10 ft pole with 3.5 feet buried, this is over a third, so unless you are on very sandy soil, or well exposed location, 3-3.5 ft as johnwilliam said should be a goodun.

You can hire an auger from a hire shop to dig the hole (prepare for blisters though), and it is advised that a couple of inches of gravel is put at the bottom of the hole.

Pole should be placed in hole and made vertical, then firmly guyed down before putting in concrete, because you need to prod the concrete to ensure that there is no air pockets. Leave the guy ropes until concrete is dry. It is imperative that the pole ends up vertical otherwise you will not be able to track the arc.