Police raid in cyprus re dreamboxes

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
In todays local paper...
POLICE IN Limassol yesterday uncovered a huge network of hijacked satellite broadcasting in the city, implicating hundreds of houses.

The head of the police unit dealing with intellectual property theft, Nicos Chrysostomou, said, acting on information, the unit investigated two shops in Limassol yesterday afternoon, leading to the confiscation of 19 central servers, 34 “Dreambox” decoders, two computers and dozens of devices that copy satellite home user cards.

He claimed that the equipment was used to hijack Cypriot, Greek and foreign satellite channels, and then pass it on to non-subscribers, who bought fake satellite cards for half the price of the originals.

Police estimate that around 1,900 non-subscribers are using the equipment to view satellite channels illegally. Investigators hope to secure the exact number and details of the non-subscribers, according to police.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Great work by the Cypriot police. Well done. :)
Hope that other countries, especially in the Middle East would follow their example.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

dago

Reaction score
I guess there is no violent crimes in cyprus, thats why the police can
afford to protect the big sat companys.
regards.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I don't know,half the customers were probably in the police force anyway. Every other person I met had a dreambox and the other half were supplying

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Regarding mid-east, laws are different...

For example, in our country, the broadcaster needs to have license for broadcasting, which costs about $2 million/yr. Otherwise, card sharing, card clone and so on for that broadcaster are not illegal. You may see here biggest satellite shops selling pirate cards for NTV+ and so on.