Portable Satellite Receiver

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
rolfw said:
These people really annoy me, they deprive genuine buyers of acquiring a bargain.
i sent a message to the seller of the £199 units asking if they would match the lidl price, i await a reply in anticipation!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
closetosoton said:
i sent a message to the seller of the £199 units asking if they would match the lidl price, i await a reply in anticipation!

ROF!!! You're a very bad man... O-Ha

I'll wait a few weeks, and pick one up for a tenner... :p

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
closetosoton said:
point south, then 5degrees to the west.
pre-set channel to: - 11590.00Mhz Vertical - DVB/MPEG2 - Symbol Rate: 19636 FEC: 2/3

(details taken from _http://www.kingofsat.net/en/freqs.php?&pos=5.0W&standard=Digital&filtre=Clear)

and scoot around with the dish.

the only issue is your dish might be too small for this satellite.... dunno.
i use a 60cm dish for analogue transmissions on the south coast of uk.

-cts

Will give this a try tonight when I get home. Fingers crossed. Thx

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
BGonaSTICK said:
ROF!!! You're a very bad man...

You asked:
"i note lidl are selling these for £69.99 would you consider matching the price? http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050523.p.Portable_Satellite_Receiver"

"hello cannot match price have spoke to lidl but they have sold out i got these from germany but might be open to offers"

seems to suggest if you find the right source, you might get them 'cheap' from germany.....

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
closetosoton said:
You asked:
"i note lidl are selling these for £69.99 would you consider matching the price? http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050523.p.Portable_Satellite_Receiver"

"hello cannot match price have spoke to lidl but they have sold out i got these from germany but might be open to offers"

Strange he didn't add your question to the auction page!

seems to suggest if you find the right source, you might get them 'cheap' from germany.....

Cheap source in Germany - Lidl perhaps...

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
gameboy said:

Cheap source in Germany - Lidl perhaps...

Well he'd be lying if the manual he'll provide isn't in german :)

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
gameboy said:

i did consider putting a fictionary "portable satellite" system for auction, just for information only (i.e. don't bid - i have nothing for sale) just to inform the folks of the misjustice they are being subjected to, but that'd probably land me in a whole heap of cr*p with eBay.... i think its up to eBayers to shop around. i often find things cheaper elsewhere, but some folks can't help themselves when it comes to eBay, I know I've made some pointless purchases. check this out:

-cts

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It doesn't need to be a fictional item, just advertise an information sheet and include it on the auction page. :) Do a buy now at 1p. :)

PS. "phoned Lidl but they had sold out", yes, probably because the bastard bought the last three. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
That's what I always want to do when I see people selling the www.freesatfromsky.co.uk website address for a pound. Bstards.

:-lan2

And another thing... why do people pay £35 for a 'second-hand' card? O-Ha

Sorry, thread bent beyond reasonable bounds... :-ohmy

italiastar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate / Sky minidish
I bought one of these systems last year and in all honesty it was great whilst it worked. What frustrated me was that the dish looked like a plastic dustbin lid, but worked perfectly with the exception of very heavy rain, which I thought was excellent. I'm in south London and I picked up Hotbird perfectly and could do the same with Astra. I was very pleased with this kit.

Unfortunately, just before Christmas it Blew up, literally! Lidl could only offer a refund, after returning it to the store and waiting 2 weeks for a cheque. Their authorised repairer was not answering the phone, and not responding to e-mail - in fact the e-mail box was full. Eventually he responded after 8 weeks and offered to replace the reciever - however this was 8 weeks too late as I'd already bought another one. This is the response I got when I told him this -

Quote:
Dear Sir,

There are always customers like you no matter what we do we could never fulfil your requests.

I pride my self in the service I give and give a service to lidl customers which I believe is far better than there competition.

But there will always be customers like yourself who will always complain and no matter what we do to help will always continue to complain expecting something for nothing.

Thank god I am an independent service.

My advice is get a proper one like a Technomate, Humax etc. If you're in the south of the UK a Sky minidish should work fine - mine is perfect - even in heavy rain!

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I finally got it to work! At 00:45 last night (or this morning :))
The compass that came with it was misleading me and wasn't showing me the real south. I decided to take out my PocketPC, loaded up TomTom Navigator and found South using the compass. Also there was a part of the building blocking the reception, so I decided to move the dish higher up just in case. And it all worked!
I got a signal of 70% on Atlantic Bird 3 - haven't tried the others. The french channels are extremely clear.

Katie, if you are still trying, try the same satellite as me:
Atlantic Bird 3 at 5.0°W

STB Settings:
Satellite: Amos 1
Transponder: Manually enter 11591 Vertical 19636 2/3
LNB Freq: Universal
DiSEqC: LNB1
Motor: Disable
FTA Only: Yes
Start Search: Satellite (you won't need that one)

THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE HELPING US NEWBIES

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Nice one m8. Welcome to the world of mega-free telly!

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
cool, well done, i'm a bit surpirsed you have to set the satellite to Amos 1, that's at 4W (_http://www.lyngsat.com/amos1.html), not 5W. I don't think it matters though since you're manually entering the frequency and other details - i think it would only be of concern to you if you didn't enter the freq manually, then the receiver knows which freqs to scan based on its internal database of satellites and their transmitter frequencies etc...

cts

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
italiastar said:
I bought one of these systems last year and in all honesty it was great whilst it worked. What frustrated me was that the dish looked like a plastic dustbin lid, but worked perfectly with the exception of very heavy rain, which I thought was excellent. I'm in south London and I picked up Hotbird perfectly and could do the same with Astra. I was very pleased with this kit.

Unfortunately, just before Christmas it Blew up, literally! Lidl could only offer a refund, after returning it to the store and waiting 2 weeks for a cheque. Their authorised repairer was not answering the phone, and not responding to e-mail - in fact the e-mail box was full. Eventually he responded after 8 weeks and offered to replace the reciever - however this was 8 weeks too late as I'd already bought another one. This is the response I got when I told him this -

Quote:
Dear Sir,

There are always customers like you no matter what we do we could never fulfil your requests.

I pride my self in the service I give and give a service to lidl customers which I believe is far better than there competition.

But there will always be customers like yourself who will always complain and no matter what we do to help will always continue to complain expecting something for nothing.

Thank god I am an independent service.

My advice is get a proper one like a Technomate, Humax etc. If you're in the south of the UK a Sky minidish should work fine - mine is perfect - even in heavy rain!

Unbelievable, I wonder if Lidl know how he speaks about their products?

Have you now got your refund and who is this joker?

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
closetosoton said:
cool, well done, i'm a bit surpirsed you have to set the satellite to Amos 1, that's at 4W (_http://www.lyngsat.com/amos1.html), not 5W. I don't think it matters though since you're manually entering the frequency and other details - i think it would only be of concern to you if you didn't enter the freq manually, then the receiver knows which freqs to scan based on its internal database of satellites and their transmitter frequencies etc...

cts

True, the satellite name doesn't matter if you are entering the settings manually. I just left it on Amos as it was closer to 5W. I didn't see any option for adding satellite names, I've only been able to add settings to provided ones.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
frikoriko said:
True, the satellite name doesn't matter if you are entering the settings manually. I just left it on Amos as it was closer to 5W. I didn't see any option for adding satellite names, I've only been able to add settings to provided ones.

in the list there should appear "Atlantic Bird 3" or something similar.... one would hope....- cts

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
frikoriko said:

you might check your software version, and if its not the latest update it

official s/w start here: _http://www.comag-ag.de/engl/en_home.html
(I think this is your receiver) updated s/w versions often contain updated satellite/trnasponder updates.

for un official s/w, start here:
_http://forums.exthus.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38 (with this it may be possible to watch some otherwise encrypted channels, no promises!)

-cts

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheers for the links.
I confirm AB3 isn't listed in the box's setup :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
frikoriko said:
Cheers for the links.
I confirm AB3 isn't listed in the box's setup :)

we're all pleased for you frikoriko I just hope Katy manages the same before she blows a gasket. There is nothing like that first channel showing on the TV, happy daysM:W

italiastar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate / Sky minidish
Unbelievable, I wonder if Lidl know how he speaks about their products?

Have you now got your refund and who is this joker?

The refund was no problem - if you exclude the two week wait. Lidl seem to forget to point out that all refunds over £20 have to be referred to head office, who then send a cheque. As they would have known about this issue, from what this forum said about these units blowing up very quickly, they could have handled it better, but as they are essentially "baked bean" shifters, and not much can go wrong with a can of beans, their service was fine.

The "Joker" is their authorised repairer in the UK from a company http://www.jutah.com/page0001.htm whose main product was Solar Powered Cat-Eyes - a real money spinner - you see them every day! I've just looked are they are now a satellite equipment supplier. To be fair the e-mail above was after I declined his offer two replace the reciever in a e-mail which he sent 8 weeks after I originally tried to contact him - by then I'd recieved my refund and bought a replacment Technomate.

As a warning to recent purchasers of this reciever, my ran hot from the start. I thought this was odd, but never having had a satellite reciever, I guessed this was normal. It was always put on standby when not in use (most of the time) and therefore this may have extended it's life. When I got the technomate I realised that they did not run hot, so this may have been the fault all along. I'm surprised that Lidl didn't recall these if it's a known issue. Up until it blew-up it was a great piece of kit.

I've tuned into Hotbird and two Astra satellites and notice that you've tuned into Atlantic - is there much on it? As a hint to tune into Hotbird, I was told that it's position is roughly where the sun is at 11am GMT based on where I live, near Kingston Surrey.