Post storm problems

bartlebooth

Reaction score
Hi

Have been a member of this forum and reading the posts has been a major source of enlightenment to this often baffling subject. Very much a beginner so apologies in advance for any howlers. However now I have a problem and would appreciate any assistance/explanation.

About 18 months ago I bought one of those cheapie all-in-one dual lnb kits from sateuropa (Telestar box) to replace an old Pace analogue box which blew up. Pointed at Hotbird 13.0 and Astra 19.2. Have nothing to compare it with but have been very happy with it.

However the recent storms played havoc with the reception. Armed with a screwdriver (and with a mate keeping an eye on the onscreen meter) moved the dish slightly until reception was back to nearly normal. Signal 80-90% Quality 0.7-0.8 Astra 0.6-0.7 on Hotbird. Sat back smugly to enjoy my newly revived signal. About 2 hours later I switched from Astra to Hotbird and there was nothing. Checked the meter and there was nothing. Tried switching off and on and all the usual tests but nothing would bring it back. Astra signal as strong as ever. Into the satellite configuration and checking the Hotbird settings the test satellite signal is fluctuating from good to zero several times a second. Nothing on the quality meter.

Could someone point me to where the fault might lie. Was it the movement of the dish (seems unlikely as it was working fine)? Is it the LNB? Is it the disecq switch? (attached to the arm of the dish. Checked the connections and all seems well) Is it the box? Any pointers gratefully received.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
bartlebooth said:
Could someone point me to where the fault might lie. Was it the movement of the dish (seems unlikely as it was working fine)? Is it the LNB? Is it the disecq switch? (attached to the arm of the dish. Checked the connections and all seems well) Is it the box? Any pointers gratefully received.

No simple solution I think, you will have to eliminate each item. If you can borrow another receiver to check if that works. That will eliminate a connection LNB dish and cable fault. If it doesn't can you check the cable isn't damaged (cuts, water penetration etc). Then check the receiver without the switch if that works it may be the switch.

You will have to systematicaly go through each item.