PPV from abroad - changes?

mesaka

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I just tried to use the telephone service to order a Premier Plus match. Usually I just use my mobile 'phone (baring the sending of my number so nobody can see I am calling from abroad) and the interactive service - type in my sky card number and its finished. However, this time the service asked my UK 'phone number (not a problem as its in my cousins name) and then was going to switch me through to an operator (I hung up at that point)

I wondered if anyone else had the same experience and, more importantly, what questions they are likely to ask for "security" purposes (so I can make sure I have the correct answers!)?

thanks in advance for any help!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
mesaka,

I don't think they'll ask you what the new colour of the town hall is, or, what the lead story in todays UK edition of The Guardian is - or, for that matter (its a bit below the belt), what the weather is currently like outside your [cousins] house, LOL.

Surely, any security questions will be ones that you have already provided the answers to. :D

Mine became the name of my mother's last dog: after the operator asked me for my codeword and I told her I didn't have one.

P.S. Its good practice to close all windows before speaking to an operator. The sound of a foreign police car passing by has the potential to make even the dullest person a little suspicious of your location. If you are ever caught out by that one - just tell them its only an old episode of some euro-cop-drama on UKTVblah+1 ...............

Have Fun,

Mark.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yes, full address, postcode and telephone number of the house where the card is registered together with your security question should be all that's need.

Well including your name and sub details of course :)

It's not uncommon to speak to an operator - don't be alarmed.

max.max

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 fixed dish 90cm invacom0.3 dual 13°E -
1 fixed dish 130cm cambridge lnb 0.6 28°E -
1 panasonic 30 and 1 amstrad sky digiboxes - 1 echostar 808ci viaccess - dragon, joker, CAS 3 I/F
My Location
rome, italy
mesaka said:
Hi all,

.......... However, this time the service asked my UK 'phone number (not a problem as its in my cousins name) and then was going to switch me through to an operator (I hung up at that point)

I wondered if anyone else had the same experience and, more importantly, what questions they are likely to ask for "security" purposes (so I can make sure I have the correct answers!)?

thanks in advance for any help!

I am just wondering not what are they likely going to ask for "security"(?) purposes, but what are they allowed to ask by contract terms or law?

Of course I do have a UK address and telephone number, but I bought (and paid a rip-off amount at the time, even more like an armed robbery amount considering present prices) MY crappybox without any obligation to plug it into any phone line, so I don't see why I should be obliged to give them a UK land line number or, as a matter of fact, any telephone number at all.
After less then one year after I've activated my card+box (maybe just over 6 months after), uncle rupert wrote me a letter reminding me that I had to connect the box to telephone line otherwise the card would be deactivated. Well, I had a real go at them in writing and on the phone, reminding them that the contract terms did not foresee any obligation to connect the box which I had bought with my money and not got it for free and that i would have taken them to court if they'd dared do anything wrong with the subscription. Got another letter after a few days apologising for the mistake and never heard from them again. My last phone contact from abroad with hidden number was 2 months ago and they didn't ask particular question.

mesaka

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
So I took your advice and there was no problem. The thing was I had not set up the security code so I had no idea what it was. I just played dumb and said I had not used it in years and I did not remember it. They then checked my "mother's" maiden name (in fact actually my mother's as its my 1st cousin on my mother's side!) and all was well. I then set a password for next time....!

PS apparently its raining in Dorset, and the lead story in today's Guardian is about BAE and Pinochet ;-)!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Think it would take more than a police siren to put S*y off taking your money - you could be watching TV.

If you paid for your receiver they have no right to ask you connect it to a phone - unless they suspect that you have been using the PPV blocker - but then the card would stop working once the credit on it has run out.