Prepare for problems this winter

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Yeshi said:
... and who wants to protect the sun?? its got more toxic chemicals on it than my farts do first thing in the morning...

I am not sure about that....:eek:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Its a long time since I had info in on the shuttle but from memory the side product of the solid rocket boosters is hydrochloric acid ( a lot of it) , which is spread over as much as 500 square miles whilst they are operating to a 28 mile altitude. The need for still air conditions has more to do with the environmental impact of spreading the acid into populated areas than the trajectory.

The shuttle would only get (risk aside) waste up to inner orbit requiring parking of the stuff whilst another ship is made ready for its onward journey to the moon (echoes of Space 1999 here) or the sun.

Travel to the sun would require nothing more than slowing down the speed of the rocket to allow a drop into a lower orbit than the earth, and as long as Salty guarantees the sun would not 'switch off' the day it arrives, then we should all be OK.

All this however ignores the impact of the original launches into space, propellant gas aside the cost of a launch includes the process of build of the shuttle, the manufacture of the infrastructure around it, the creation (and storage) of both fuels - the main engines use refridgerated gas - probably the most expensive part is keeping it liquid before launch.

Sending stuff into space is not the answer, unless it can be used once it is up there.

I would prefer using the vast areas of deserts that are usually (conveniently) between the two tropics, and stick fields of solar panels a few metres above them. The bases could be designed with buildings within their structure that would help keep the dunes from drifting into arable land, the panels would provide shade and a climate that would favour certain gardening methods (hydroponics) , and the energy from the panels could be sold off to provide part of the worlds needs for energy.

With China actively advertising their interest in redeveloping vast areas of Africa, mass production of solar technology is probably the way forward once the locations have been secured.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
wouldnt it be feasable to purify the air so to speak. i mean we can extract diferent chemicals from each other.. surely we can extract the greenhouse gasses from the air and turn it into solid form then use that to fill in the sea to gain back the land we lost :dunno: . after all if we dont we are doomed.. sea rises, fewer trees, hard to breath.. sealife dies.. no food to eat.. would you actually want to be alive in say 100 years i know i wouldnt :|.. funny that.. my daughters kids will be the generation which sees more of an impact.. when you think it like that... its bloody scary :|