Probably a daft question about flashing a USB stick ...

normsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
UK
Had a dig around but can't seem to find the question asked before.

Why can't a USB stick be formatted on a PC and a flash image installed/copied to it and then it simply plugged into the 800?

I appreciate there is a file system difference but just wondered if it's plausible and if somebody has worked on a routine to do it.

Told you it was a daft question.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
That would be Barry Allen mate. You can operate several different images from a memory stick but its all still setup via the dreambox.

wannabee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo with 1TB HDD, Vu+ Solo with 500GB HDD, Dm7025 with 80GB HDD & 1m Triax
Advent 9415 lappy
My Location
Co. Tyrone
Hi B16MCC

Is there an idiots guide for this.. ??

I have had a look but cant find anything..

Thanks

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
I have often seen the barry allen USB multi boot etc and i have always found myself asking, what are the benefits of using this?

The 800 has a 64 mb internal flash and i am up to 60mb already which pisses me off. does using a USB pen rectify this?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
chavo said:
I have often seen the barry allen USB multi boot etc and i have always found myself asking, what are the benefits of using this?

The 800 has a 64 mb internal flash and i am up to 60mb already which pisses me off. does using a USB pen rectify this?

You can either run the image you are using from the USB Flash drive freeing up space (Which I thought you were doing based on your other active thread), or you can use the Dreambox's built in flash to run the image from whilst storing all your plugins on the flash drive, thus freeing up space and allowing you to install many more plugins.

normsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
UK
Time I got back to this thread. People seem to be missing the point I was asking.

It was just an idle curiosity type question. It doesn't really matter to be honest. Thanks anyways guys. I was just wondering why images can't be pre-loaded onto sticks on a device other than a dreambox. In particular a pc.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
normsky said:
Why can't a USB stick be formatted on a PC and a flash image installed/copied to it and then it simply plugged into the 800?
You could probably use filesystem imaging software like Ghost. You'd have to use a modified boot loader which would allow you to boot via USB flash.

I've not seen anyone bother doing this with the dreambox because its so easy to flash a new image over LAN, but I've seen it done with Cubrevo / Abcom recievers.