Problem getting FTA from Astra 3A 23.5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
60cm Dish
Octagon SF818 PVR
My Location
Surrey, UK
yeah, very useful stuff - want to ask my engineer now who told him that 60cm would be fine?!

I guess, now that I have the cable, receiver, card I MUST spend more on a bigger dish otherwise the costs will be even greater!

oh well....

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Remember you will need planning permission for a 1.2m!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
60cm Dish
Octagon SF818 PVR
My Location
Surrey, UK
really? I wish you didn't tell me! it's just getting more and more complicated - however, I might be lucky - i am installing it so noone will see it + we have some big dishes on our property already - so it could be covered under the same permission.

From what size is a permision required?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If your not in a conservation area generally bigger than 1m

To be honest with you you might be better off getting a UPC subscription for 19E - thats got the CT channels on it and needs a far smaller dish.

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP Professional, Skystar 2, TM5200D+ Super, 1m motorised dish [62E-58W]
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
That transponder is unusual - I am supposedly out of coverage up here but still get 60-62% signal quality (albeit in clear skies so not much rain margin I guess) and good reception with a TD-110 :) Therefore, I'd expect a good quality 1m would be fine in the SE in almost all weathers.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
60cm Dish
Octagon SF818 PVR
My Location
Surrey, UK
yeah - you are right I have thought about that....but I have already bought the CS link card, have a receiver and paid to have a dish installed.

With UPC I will have to pay £25 per month just to get the standard package (all I need really) but in 6 months the cost of a 1.2m dish would be paid anyway!

BTW: I don't have to pay any subscription for CS link (one-off payment £55 to get the card)

PS: i also really have doubts whether it's all worth doing - maybe I should scrap the idea of having a czech tv because the effort to get it going is enormous!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
60cm Dish
Octagon SF818 PVR
My Location
Surrey, UK
farr said:
That transponder is unusual - I am supposedly out of coverage up here but still get 60-62% signal quality (albeit in clear skies so not much rain margin I guess) and good reception with a TD-110 :) Therefore, I'd expect a good quality 1m would be fine in the SE in almost all weathers.

Hi, thanks for your input.

A good quality - do you mean something like Gibertini for £79? why do they have better gain those Gibertini dishes?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
60cm Dish
Octagon SF818 PVR
My Location
Surrey, UK
farr said:

also do you get CT24 or OCKO (music channel) both FTA?
do you have CRW on your receiver?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
60cm Dish
Octagon SF818 PVR
My Location
Surrey, UK
Analoguesat said:
If you want to align your little dish onto 23.5E use the Dutch regionals on 11914 - they are nice and strong.

There are 3 birds parked at 23.5E, each with different transmission areas. 3A has a tight footprint centred on Germany and is a difficult one to get in much of the UK.
so you think that I could get the CS Link on this TP
11876 H tp 9 CS Link Cryptoworks 27500-3/4 3-3209 1G V Hrubec 090401
As it uses the 1G beam.
therefore to find that bird I would need to select Astra 23.5E in my menu, and then the appropriate TP as you suggested 11914 27500 H and seek the strongest signal - is this the right method?

UPDATE: just checked this _http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/tvsat/astra1g.html
there is no CT1,2...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
A Gibertini 120cm and your home and dry in all weathers; might also get away with 100cm version (possibly) given your location.

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
CzechSKyMaster said:
also do you get CT24 or OCKO (music channel) both FTA?
do you have CRW on your receiver?

The signal quality I quoted was for the transponder with CT24 on it (12525V). Ocko TV is coming in loud and clear with 98% signal quality on 10862H so that particular one should even be fine on a 60cm. I can't find CRW on any lists for 23.5E?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
60cm Dish
Octagon SF818 PVR
My Location
Surrey, UK
farr said:
The signal quality I quoted was for the transponder with CT24 on it (12525V). Ocko TV is coming in loud and clear with 98% signal quality on 10862H so that particular one should even be fine on a 60cm. I can't find CRW on any lists for 23.5E?

Sorry - I was not clear enough.

I meant if you have CRW (cryptoworks) module/reader on your satellite receiver - but CT24 and OCKO TV are FTAs anyway.
Gibertini 1m = £70 but 1.2m is around £120;:mad: is it really necessary to spend that much money on just extra 20cm?

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
CzechSKyMaster said:
Sorry - I was not clear enough.

I meant if you have CRW (cryptoworks) module/reader on your satellite receiver - but CT24 and OCKO TV are FTAs anyway.
Gibertini 1m = £70 but 1.2m is around £120;:mad: is it really necessary to spend that much money on just extra 20cm?

My receiver is a Technomate 5200 so FTA only - no card or CAM slots. I can't comment on dish sizes since I'm not an installer but I guess it's a case of rain margin being key - a 1m may get you the channels in clear and maybe even cloudy weather but if it starts to rain, signal levels will drop off and the extra 20cm or so may just tip the balance in favour of stopping breakup in the wet.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
....and England gets a lot of rain :)

Personally, I'd spend the extra but take note regarding the planning permission etc.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ideally you want to try a good 1m dish against a 1.2 m dish but as the others have said its a question of rain fade margin. Its all very well skimping and putting a 1m dish up, but whats your time worth if you have to redo the job in a few weeks time as the signals disappear every time it rains.

You *might* get away with a 1m most of the time, its hard to tell unless theres an installer in your area who knows what the reception conditions are like in your area.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
60cm Dish
Octagon SF818 PVR
My Location
Surrey, UK
thanks guys - really great advice from all of you.
I'll keep you posted...

zincrich

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish + Freesat Panasonic TV with CI
My Location
Northampton
Hi,

Just wondered if u were still receiving from Astra 3A. I've got 1m dish and was receving most of the cz channels most of the time. But has all gone pear shaped recently. Only receiving a few cz channels now. Not sure if it is worth getting a bigger dish or if there is some other issue.

Any experience you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Your dish may just need marginally realigning - The Czech stuff broadcasts on 2 satellites - Astra 3A & 3B. 3B is an easy catch as shes running a high power pan European beam.

Astra 3A is running a spot beam centred on Germany & needs good dishes & good alignment here in the UK.

zincrich

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish + Freesat Panasonic TV with CI
My Location
Northampton
Analoguesat said:
Your dish may just need marginally realigning - The Czech stuff broadcasts on 2 satellites - Astra 3A & 3B. 3B is an easy catch as shes running a high power pan European beam.

Astra 3A is running a spot beam centred on Germany & needs good dishes & good alignment here in the UK.

Many thanks for the fast response. Sorry, I've also posted a similar message elsewhere which you responded too: http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...-uk-reception-dish-size-map-3.html#post959603