Johnmorrin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 , 90cm Dish
Pace Digibox , Zone 2 Dish 42" LCD
My Location
Laois , Ireland
Heres a few pics of my humble set up.

Im trying to pick up W3A 7e for broadsat sattorrent internet.I have an 80cm lidl dish hooked up to a Skystar2 pci card.The best signal that I can get is 63% quality and 8db SNR. I can only pick up this signal when the LNB's skew is at around 80 degrees (See pictures) Transponder settings are

11262Mhz
Frequency : 1512mhz
Symbol Rate : 27531kS/s
FEC : 3/4
Polarity : Horizontal/Left (High)

I was told that because the transponder is Horizontal that this is why my LNB has to be at such an extreme angle, Is this correct ? Also I get a lot of rain fade and signal drops to around 40% and SNR of 6 - 7dB and I start getting BER readings.

Anyone any Ideas what can be done ?

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 75

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, your LNB should sit slightly off the vertical at about 7 o'clock as you look from behind the LNB towards the dish, what are your satellite and LNB settings for your Skystar card, have you set the LNB to Universal with voltage switching for polarity? Can you receiver the channels on 11283 V like M6 Suisse?

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 77

Johnmorrin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 , 90cm Dish
My Location
Laois , Ireland
The Skystar settings are the ones that I have posted.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There should be more basic settings like switching frequency, LNB type etc, but in any event, the LNB needs to be set as per my picture above. :)

Johnmorrin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 , 90cm Dish
My Location
Laois , Ireland
Yeah I realise the LNB should be the way you illustrate , but what i cant figure out is when it is vertical , there is no possible way that the skystar will pick up the transponder that I need.Here is a screencap from the Skystar2 control panel

Attachments

• screencap.JPG
    screencap.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 86

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There is another panel of settings, it'll show the type of LNB and switching settings.

But you didn't answer my other question, can you get M6?

Johnmorrin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 , 90cm Dish
My Location
Laois , Ireland
OK I think I found it.The settings that are there are the ones recommended by Eutelsat though. How would I go about getting M6 ?

Attachments

• settings.JPG
    settings.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 73

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Have you installed the TV viewer?

there should be another setting which decides the type of LNB.

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402(M2), TBS 6983, Sky+ HD, Stab USALS HH100, Faval 1M, Triax TD54, Hauppauge HD PVR
My Location
Falkirk
To get a horizontal signal with your LNB in that position implies that your card isn't sending the required voltage to switch the polarity. Are you able to get any vertical transponders with the LNB in that position ? There is a strong vertical data transponder at 11351 with a SR of 8571. You may have to add it manually as it doesn't appear in Setup4PC by default.

Whilst on the 11262 transponder, what happens if you change the polarity setting to vertical when in 'Edit Transponder' mode ? Note that you have to click on 'OK' for the change to take effect. If nothing happens (i.e. the signal remains) then the card is not putting out the correct voltage to the LNB.

By the way, 63% signal quality with a Skystar 2 is actually quite good. The SS2 is notoriously mean with its signal readings. This would equate to 90% on my other sat boxes.

Johnmorrin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 , 90cm Dish
My Location
Laois , Ireland
Ok I think ive found something.I got back out on the roof , in the pi$$ing rain no less and rotated the LNB back to where it should normally be.Went back inside and the satellite signal was gone , I then changed the polarity setting to vertical , and the sat locked on.Why would broadsat tell me to use the horizontal setting though ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't use dollar signs in your posts, as a new member the spam trap catches them and puts the post into a moderation queue. :)

Sounds like your LNB commands are incorrect, or the LNB polarities are reversed.

That's why I want to see the LNB setup menu, it should be 13v Vertical and 18v Horizontal.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It does not apear that they have given you the wrong details, lyngsat only lists a horizontal transponder at that frequency, and I can find no signal with vertical.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Sounds like your LNB commands are incorrect, or the LNB polarities are reversed.

Yes, I thought that too.

The O/P skew setting it was on compared to the new setting (about 7 'O Clock) is about a 90 º turn which will give the opposite polarity :D

Johnmorrin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 , 90cm Dish
My Location
Laois , Ireland
OK i read all the manuals for my card , and there is no setting for LNB voltage or polarity.I did a bit of looking on the net and found this :

The power converter on the Skystar2 card who converts the 12V PC voltage of the
13–19V power for the LNB is not overload protected and can easily be damaged by a
shortcut in the coax cable or F connectors or a stalling or heavy turning DiSEqC motor. When
the overload last long enough a coil in the power line becomes very hot and becomes
defective.
This coil has to prevent that the 22KHz tone for the low/high band switching in the
LNB flows into the converter instead of controlling the LNB band switch. With a damaged coil
the level of the 22KHz signal on the coax is depending on the decrease of the inductance of
the coil, so sometimes one LNB will still switch while another one stays at the low band.
Due to the overheating mostly some windings of the coil become shortcut so
decreasing the inductance of the coil. The voltage on the line is still correct, the polarisation
switching controlled by the 13–19V on the line will still work, but the low/high band
switching will fail. So only low band transponders will be scanned.

I wonder is this my problem ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Could be, but there will somewhere be an LNB setting in the software menu, there certainly was when I used a Skystar.

If you are only using it for that one transponder, then just skew the LNB for the best reception, it could of course be the LNB which is faulty.

Johnmorrin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 , 90cm Dish
My Location
Laois , Ireland
Maybe it was older drivers that you were using ? Dont think its the power converter either , just pulled the skystar from the pc and mine is listed as revision 2.3 and i think its only the revision 2.6 card that has this problem.Yeah im only going to be using this dish , lnb and skystar for Sattorrent so once it picks up that transponder fairly well then ill be happy.Oh yeah , i already tried changing to a different lnb and its still the same.Tried the cable too :cool:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
How do you tell it what LNB you are using?

Johnmorrin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 , 90cm Dish
My Location
Laois , Ireland
rolfw said:
How do you tell it what LNB you are using?

No I changed the actual LNB itself on the dish.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You don't understand, there is more than one type of LNB, so there must be a panel in the software in which you define the LNB parameters.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Whilst awaiting a reply from the OP, regarding the difference in SS2 versions -

Revision 2.3 has a fuse (F1) which revision 2.6 singularly lacks. I don't know the reason for this omission, and without it any short circuit in the LNB feed will usually fry the choke.

This happened to me owing to a faulty A/B switch, and I had to rewind the choke.

Pic 1 is the 2.3 board, with fuse F1.

Pic 2 is my repaired 2.6 board :)

Llew

Attachments

• SS2 V.2.3.jpg
    SS2 V.2.3.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 83
  • SS2 Rev2.6 Coil Repair.jpg
    SS2 Rev2.6 Coil Repair.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 84