img

My Satellite Setup
Sony Sky digibox
Force D Master 114S
Dreambox 7020
PortyII
My Location
N E Scotland
I have recently installed a 90 cm Solid Dish with Stab motor and twin LNB.
Until recently it worked fine until I started losing reception (from both LNB connections) when raining, the reception returning when the weather dried up.

Last week I re-insulated and tightened the F connectors at the LNB with amalgam tape, and waited for the wet weather to return.

With the wet weather yesterday the problem returned. Looking at the dish after the rain had stopped but still no return of reception yet, I saw the dish face had water "globules" on it, so getting a cloth I climbed up and wiped it and the face of the LNB feed horn dry (the F connectors looked OK), the reception had returned when I checked the receiver.

Is this the case of water ingress into the LNB or can a solid dish being "damp" cause loss of reception. This is puzzling me anyone any ideas

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
img said:
Is this the case of water ingress into the LNB or can a solid dish being "damp" cause loss of reception. This is puzzling me anyone any ideas

Difficult to give an exact reason - I would guess it's water in the LNB (check for cracks and fill with sealant).

Rain on the dish shouldn't make that much different unless it's not aligned correctly.

The cable could have damage that allow water in - then when it dries it works again.

You could coat the dish surface with car wax and that would cause the rain to run off.

img

My Satellite Setup
Sony Sky digibox
Force D Master 114S
Dreambox 7020
PortyII
My Location
N E Scotland
Regards water ingress into the a cable, it happens on both receivers connected to seperate LNB connections at the same time, which I tend to think rules that out (unless both cables are damaged!) and point to a damaged LNB.

I have an old single LNB and will replace the twin with it and see if it works when its raining next (might be a while).

I am clutching at straws with the "damp dish " thought, but it was just strange how reception returned as soon as it was wiped dry

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
img said:
I am clutching at straws with the "damp dish " thought, but it was just strange how reception returned as soon as it was wiped dry

Did you not wipe the LNB at the same time?

I have seen LNBs with a bag taped over. all but the front before, may be worth a try before you loosen the screws which may be rusty!

img

My Satellite Setup
Sony Sky digibox
Force D Master 114S
Dreambox 7020
PortyII
My Location
N E Scotland
I'll blame the wife for the flaw in my debugging, I asked her to check the reception after I wiped the dish, as I was still on the roof! Then I wiped the LNB.

Cheers for the help Gameboy. Will try the plastic bag over the back of the LNB first.

jimbo

Retired Mod
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
img said:
I'll blame the wife for the flaw in my debugging, I asked her to check the reception after I wiped the dish, as I was still on the roof! Then I wiped the LNB.
Sounds like a case for role reversal.:D
It certainly seems like water ingress and the LNB is probably the main suspect. If all joints are sealed correctly and the LNB is ok I can only think a misalignment could be the problem.