Problems with DRX180 - stuttering picture

minilh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY+ Amstrad DRX180
My Location
Hertfordshire
HI, since August we have been having problems with our SKY+ box. Initially we noticed when playing back ER which we recorded on channel 4, the program would sort of stutter and jump around. It didn't happen on any other program. It then started happening on Deadwood recorded on SKY one. Then something else recorded on E4. I then found that the recording process actually started interering with the live transmission; ie watching footie on SKy Sports 1, start recording, transmission starts stuttering, all over the place, stop recording, transmission back to normal. It eventually escalated so that all programs broadcast in this manner except BBC1, 2, ITV1 and C4!! As the box was out of warranty we got Sky+ 160 and get all box with multiroom as this 'saved' £160, but as old box is pretty unwatchable we want to know if we can fix it or get it fixed fairly cheaply, or throw it in the bin!! My partner is convinced that if we change the hard disk, this will fix the problem, does anyone have any ideas?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-Welcome1 to the forum minilh

It would seem there is a high reject rate on some Sky + units, How long have you had the unit and did you get it from Sky direct or is it a DIY installation. If you search the PVR and Sky + section here You will find other examples and possible solutions. If it is a Sky installation less than 12 months old get in touch with Sky

minilh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY+ Amstrad DRX180
My Location
Hertfordshire
We've had it since August and I've searched loads of messages already. I emailed a company that supplys hard disks and they say they that 99% of these problems are caused by the hard disk, so we may just change it, costs £40 for a new one and looks pretty easy to swap. Thanks for the reply.

toppervte33h said:
:-Welcome1 to the forum minilh

It would seem there is a high reject rate on some Sky + units, How long have you had the unit and did you get it from Sky direct or is it a DIY installation. If you search the PVR and Sky + section here You will find other examples and possible solutions. If it is a Sky installation less than 12 months old get in touch with Sky