Quad LNB Damage

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Here's an interesting one, went back to an installation yesterday, only to find that when connecting up the satellite cables, the quality and strength had dropped dramatically.

Went up onto the roof, flat roof on four story hotel, access via skylight only to find that the LNb cover had been destroyed. There were a couple of small pieces of concrete inside as well as a small amount of the destroyed cover.

Do you reckon that this could be birds, or is it some idiot working on the site, the access is only via the skylight and the site manager said that he was unaware of anyone being up there, as it would require a ladder to get to the skylight

I've certainly experienced damage caused by birds pecking on aerial waterproof caps, but not on LNB feedhorns.

The interesting point here, is that the LNB works perfectly, despite having had water in it (once the bits were cleared out), I would guess the fact that it was not connected to a power source saved it. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Interesting Rolf, that looks like it's taken a hit in the centre. Did you see any .22 slugs around? Another flat roof somewhere perhaps?

PS. What's the computer keyboard doing on the roof? :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, don't you take your keyboard everywhere?

It's not an air gun slug, no damage inside, whatever has caused it, only penetrated the plastic skin, plus the air rifle slug wouldn't leave a small piece of cement inside.

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
maybe it's that Rob getting all worked up for not able to send his email from the rooftop and had a pop at the innocent LNB???

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Admitedly E-mail problems can be very frustrating. :)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Bird maybe

Boy with sling/catapult ?

See if there is a mark on the dish, maybe it was the target and what happend to the LNB was a rebound.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No Razor, to cause the damage it would have to be someone there with a screwdriver, knife, or possibly even a piece of stone, this covering material is quite strong, I attach a picture of the surroundings, there is nothing much taller around.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Nice work Big R.

Do you bring the camera everywhere?

And NO I do not mean the loo, before any of you guys start. I mean when you finish a job.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, camera is always with me, useful if there is any damage afterwards, I can show a photo of what it looked like when i left it. :)

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Hi,

Just thinking about birds, but that does not explain the piece of concrete in it, only if used as tool what crows do, seen one here using a piece of stone cracking a nut we put outside in winter for the birds...

Cheers,

Cor.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'll probably never know Cor, just got to chalk it up to experience. :)

S

Stargazer

The result of storm damage perhaps? (although the dish itself should show some signs in this case).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thought of that option Stargazer, but people damage is still favourite in my mind, have yet to speak to any installer who has even heard of such naturally occurring damage. :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
rolfw said:
people damage is still favourite in my mind, have yet to speak to any installer who has even heard of such naturally occurring damage. :)

Human damage would imply someone with a catapult/slingshot and phenomenal accuracy of aim without damaging the dish. Otherwise it would have to be someone with access to the roof and a rather strange idea of how to inflict damage.

I don't know what but I think the answer lies elsewhere.

PaulR

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
PaulR said:
Human damage would imply someone with a catapult/slingshot and phenomenal accuracy of aim without damaging the dish...

Unless someone with a catapult was aiming for the dish and had bad aim, but if that was the case I suppose they would have just kept on trying until they actually hit the dish.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
This is a construction site and my view is that one or more of the workers sat on the roof to eat their lunch, or have a skive during a nice late summer afternoon, got bored and had a little play with a piece of concrete. There is little way that it could have been done with a projectile, there is no other damage, there were no ball bearings or pellets on the scene and there is no surrounding vantage point from which to fire.

S

Stargazer

Maybe the LNB overheated and exploded from receiving too many hot "nature" channels... :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, not from 28.2 East Stargazer. :)