quad or quattro

Stratto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GI lx3 4 tuner quad lnb 24 port multiswitch 28.2 fta pc's are a number being a pc engineer
My Location
TURRIFF
Hi guys any information you can give would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post so please apologies if I have got it in the wrong place on the forum. I live in Scotland North of Aberdeen in a wee town called Turriff. I have an multiswitch
MS5 24PIU 6 / Emp-Multiswitch 5 x 24 AC. I currently have a sky 80cm eliptical dish with quad lnb which works fine without going through the multiswitch. If I use the multiswitch some channels mainly sky are not available. My queries are is there a good quality signal meter under 100 pounds and would a round dish 85cm perhaps and a quattro lnb work better. I am looking at this dish.

Gibertini satellite Dish 85 L 85cm L-Series Aluminium light grey dish. Not sure about an lnb yet. I only wish to receive sky channels and single satellite at present. Currently the dish is wall mounted on the gable of my bungalow. On a sturdy pole about 300cm above the roof apex. Thanks in advance.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hi Stratto welcome to the forum. I know the Turriff area - a friend of mine lives near there. Its a nice place.

Ive moved your post onto its own thread so you get dedicated answers.

Your multi switch probably needs a quattro lnb - multiswitches often have 4 sub bands:

Vertical low
Vertical high
Horizontal low
Horizontal high

Each output on a quattro lnb is one of these dedicated outputs.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
If its a $ky dish then surely its a Zone 2 dish (the non Southern England "mini" dish variety) if it is then maybe this model of multi switch is one of the ones that accepted a quad LNB feed with the switch's dip switch set to that option. Anyway if it is a Zone 2 then its to small to be feeding a multiswitch, especially up there.

Sent from my thl_T7 using Tapatalk

Stratto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GI lx3 4 tuner quad lnb 24 port multiswitch 28.2 fta pc's are a number being a pc engineer
My Location
TURRIFF
Thanks for your replies yes the multiswitch takes both quad or quattro no dip switch settings it is aso a zone 2 dish 80cm eliptical.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That should work fine with a well aligned zone 2 dish, only 2-4db insertion loss on the satellite side. Have you checked that the little trims are set for zero attennuation?

Easy way to check is select a channel for which you know the frequency and polarity, then adjust the relevant trim gently but fully in both directions and see if channel disappears and or comes back.

Stratto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
TURRIFF
Thanks rolfw i have not tinkered with the ms attenuation i will check it out. also do i need to put a 75r terminator on each unused output?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Stratto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
TURRIFF
Well turned all trims down to zero and signal is more stable i can get all channels no problem. just in case someone else is looking for a solution. it certainly worked for me. Thanks again for all the help received.