Quality of coax cable

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Is there much of a difference in the quality of coax cable. My local hardware store sells black sat coax cable for 75p per metre. Does the quality vary much and is it very important to go for a high end cable or is it all just marketing??Thanks:cool:

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
erukus said:
Is there much of a difference in the quality of coax cable. My local hardware store sells black sat coax cable for 75p per metre. Does the quality vary much and is it very important to go for a high end cable or is it all just marketing??Thanks:cool:

Plenty of posts about this. Use the search button.
What is the length of cable that you have in mind?

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
about 15 metres

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
erukus said:
about 15 metres

Do you need it in black or you have preference to another colour like white (better indoors in my opinion, ask the missus before buying)?
Try to get the type of cable that they are selling. Part number and manufacturer.
With such a length, even if it doesn't make much difference, I would certainly go for a better quality cable as the total cost is only 11.25 pounds and few more quids won't make a bigger hole in my pocket than it has now. :)

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
is it the one with the tin foil or the one with the copper foil
go for the one with the copper foil

as to white coax
9 times out of 10 when customers phone up that they are getting interfearance on the tv it is the white coax that is causing it
change it for black and no interfearance
dont ask me why its all sapposed to be the same
it isun't

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
aba said:
it is the white coax that is causing it
change it for black and no interfearance
dont ask me why its all sapposed to be the same
it isun't
Can't say that I've noticed any difference based solely on the colour of the outer sheath, I've used black, brown and white.

What is much more important is to make sure that there is double shielding under this outer sheath - TV type co-ax only has a single braided sheath - and that this second shield is copper foil to go with the copper braid.

The copper foil was introduced to go with the installation of digital receivers, prior to that aluminium foil was the norm when installing analogue receivers.

This double copper shielded co-ax is also the best to use for new TV aerial installations as it gives better shielding for digital terrestrial transmissions.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ya this stuff at Trago Mills dont know if anyone has heard of them really cheap dept store in south west uk has a black outer coating and silver file on the inside its defo for satellite as they have it for sat and tv two different types. I just though it would be better than ordering a length off the net then realising i need an extra foot or soemthing.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
also try maplins there ft100 would be suitable as well as its double screened cable for satellite use

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive always ignored all the advice about high quality coax - I use the cheap stuff from B&Q quite happily in numerous cable runs inside & out.

HOWEVER,

1) if you are looking for the absolute maximum signal transfer for ultra marginal beams then use the best you can afford But if you are just wiring up for the strong Eoropean sats then it should be ok

2) Im in an electrically very quiet area in the middle of nowhere so lack of interference screening in the cheap stuff is not an issue here.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Thats good enough for me. BTW thanks to everyone who has taken their time to advise me it has all been very helpful!

stephen22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Maplins caravan satellite kit
My Location
essex uk
Is there any important difference between coaxial cables for tv aerials and satellite dishes?

I have Maplins' basic satellite system in my caravan and having now established that it works well, I plan to duct the cable from the television shelf to an external locker, behind the fridge etc so that there aren't too many loose cables outside. I occasionally use a directional aerial outside for ordinary TV and would like to be able to use the connection for this too.

Both kits have miles of coaxial cable and they look pretty much the same to me, only slightly different hieroglyphics. Probably entry level. It'll be quite a fiddle so I want to be reasonably sure to get it right first time.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Stephen

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you use a reasonable quality double screened 75 ohm satellite cable, then it'll be fine for UHF TV signals as well.:)

stephen22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Maplins caravan satellite kit
My Location
essex uk
Thanks thats very helpful