Quattro Dish setup and cables run to Labgear multiswitch in Denham UB9

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+ multiroom - quattro distribution system wannabe
My Location
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Hi,

i am looking to replace my current SKY satellite dish with a Quattro LNB (so that i can distribute Satellite and normal TV channels around my house).

I have already got a Labgear multiswitch, and now i need a dish and Quattro LNB installed and cables run to the multiswitch.

The cable run is approx 10M - at first floor height - my house is south facing and where the current satellite is, there is a flat roof (makes installs of the dish easier! The cable needs to run up the side of my house and then drilled through the wall and terminated to the Labgear multiswitch r i have (i have purchased a 5/16 way board) - all other cable runs i would look to complete myself, with the installer terminating them to the multiswitch.

Can you please advise of the costs to install / align the dish please. (you could also quote me on the supply of the dish / Quattro LNB - i was looking at a Triax 64cm solid dish)

Many thanks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just within my capture area

The Triax will probably need a separate pole mount, but I estimate the outdooor hardware to be just under £100, dish, mount, bolts, LNB and connectors.

If you have the switch and cabling installed wherever before I get there then total time would be in the region of 2 hours to connect everything up and test, so just on £100 for the labour plus other connectors, clips etc.

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Channel Hopper,

many thanks for the quick reply! -

for the dish - i was hoping to use the existing bracket that was installed for the original sky dish - would this be possible?

Also i would need the 4 cables to be run to the multiswitch - the switch is currently in a cupboard in one of the bedrooms, but its onto an external wall (i guess 9-12" thick?)

As always the devil is in the detail :) - i'll put in the thread a diagram of where i would want the cables terminating to - as i've just thought on that i need 2 (dual) cables run around to the other side of the house from the multiswitch ..... :) ( probably a 15-20m run) ...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Unlikely, you would need to post some pictures of the original build, the clamping used for a start prevent a larger dish from being absolutely secure on a Sk y mount, then there's the bolts (and rarely four either)

I can supply cable if required, budget on about 60-80p a metre depending on height and number of clips required (brickwork/render etc)

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi,

apologies for the delay in responding, ive now managed to cable all the rooms with twin shotgun cable - ive got one more run to complete, ive also put in a quad-core cable for the satellite. (all cable runs are internal so no messing around outside!!) - there is one normal tv cable that needs to be run, and then a dual cable run from the upstairs down to the living room - i could use the existing SKY cable for this, but its around 10 years old and is probably worth replacing to ensure best quality signal.

ive purchased a 65cm round dish from maplins (£24 :)) - but no bracket for it yet. Just waiting to source a Quattro LNB, then im ready to get it all setup! -

Someone else told me that its possible to get a quattro LNB for a skydish - does anyone have any experience of this?

cheers

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
pchappo said:
Someone else told me that its possible to get a quattro LNB for a skydish - does anyone have any experience of this?
Never heard of one for a Minidish but even if you could get one it would be the wrong type for your 60cm dish. You need a conventional Quattro for that.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Seen a few use a quattro on zone 2's for communal systems. Results certainly will be poor.

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
satelliteman said:
Seen a few use a quattro on zone 2's for communal systems. Results certainly will be poor.

cheers for the advice - ive ordered a quattro - so should have everyting lined up for next week sometime!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
There are differences between the old style minidishes and the new(er), one piece units made by Raven, in particular the LNB boom fixings.

Quattro LNBs are all 40mm clamping, and most of the quad LNBs I have used as of late are also 40mm with a removable clamp for attaching to old and new minidishes, so it is unlikely the clamp onthe 60cm Maplin dish cannot use either LNB straight out of the box.

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi all,

slightly changed requirements. .....

ive bought a dish (triax 78cm with a wall mount)), a Triax multi-LNB holder and a quattro LNB - ive laid my cables for the room connections (including running a quad-core for the Quattro) and put them into boxes in the rooms ...

now im going to need the following done

1. Replace existing SKY satellite dish with new Triax
2. Using the multi-LNB holder, use the new quattro LNB to point at the satellite to get SKY tv or Freesat.
3. Connect the quad LNB from my old SKY dsh (but the quad LNB was new about 2 months ago) onto the multi-lnb holder and point it at a different satellite - connect this quad to my existing 4 cables which are run for SKY. (I'm not sure which satellite we could get it to point at)
4. Connect existing TV aerial to the Labgear multiswitch.
5. Run shotgun cable from labgear multiswitch (in upstairs bedroom) to downstairs lounge (around 5-6 metres) into multibox.
6. Align dish and test connectivtiy / signal strengh to the Labgear multiswitch and the end-wallplates (total of 7 plates)

dunno if this is ok - or if there is anything else i need to cover? Dish and other gear is arriving next week.
cheers

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
S ky and Freesat require just one dish, and one LNB. No need for another satellite position.

As for the rest, I think it can be done without further cost, Until I see what arrives from your supplier though, I can't be sure.

PM me with the full list, and post some photos when it all arrives

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hi cloudchaser I've been away for work and not had a chance to respond. ive got all my satelite bits now. will take a photo at the weekend.

so i'll need the dish fitting in replacement of my current sky dish and the new quattro lnb pointing to the sky satellite ... then the existing quad lnb i would like to add to my new satellite setup (I've got a ttriax multi-lnb holder) to point at hotbird (if thats the correct terminology). only one cable to run from upstairs to the downstairs (the lounge and most important room :) )

looking for an install next week sometime if you have the availability.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
CloudChaser ?

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
CloudChaser ?

apologies i meant channel hopper :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
OK, I have some slots available from Tuesday pm onwards.

PM me with your time schedule if you can wait until then.

Regards

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You'll have to enable pchappo's PM privileges. ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, activated.:)

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BIG thanks to channel hopper!!! All done and dusted and now I have satellite feeds and tv reception all around the house. Can't recommend him any higher! Fantastic job done (and he cleans up aver himself which keeps the gf happy :)

Just need to source some sat boxes for hot bird and astra