shnsqr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
Hp Pavilion DV4 1135EE
My Location
Bahrain
Hi everyone

I tried in the last couple days to prevent wingrab or any other recording program from recording through my DM500S

I have a local network and don't want my nosy neighbors to record from my receiver! )(-red

Is there a solution to that difficult -at least to me- problem ? :confused

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
How can they record from your Dreambox? Are they connected to it?

shnsqr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
Hp Pavilion DV4 1135EE
My Location
Bahrain
Yes they are, we have a group network connected through one router

They can record by entering my dreambox IP i.e 192.168.1.87 in WinGrab program as WinGrab don't need a username or password to start recording

My question is: is there a way to prevent WinGrab from recording even from my PC? maybe closing a port or something,,

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Of the top of my head you could put another in the chain and block any incoming traffic. e.g. connect your Dreambox to your router and then connect your router to the shared router. It might depend on the new router being able to work with the existing CAT 5 cable, which probably isn't a crossover cable.

Do you have admin access to the shared router?

shnsqr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
Hp Pavilion DV4 1135EE
My Location
Bahrain

shnsqr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
Hp Pavilion DV4 1135EE
My Location
Bahrain
Any Idea?
I discovered that the dreambox is using port no. 31338 and 31339 in recording to Computers,

Is there a way to close this ports in the dream box through router settings?
My router is Thomson SpeedTouch 585 v7 and I have admin access

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
How would they know the IP address of the Dreambox (change it if they do) and do they know that you've got a Dreambox?

shnsqr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
Hp Pavilion DV4 1135EE
My Location
Bahrain
Sorry mhku but you seems not fully understand what i want to do

let me simplify the problem as much as i can:

Imagine that u have a DSL line connected to a router with (2 ports)
Imagine also that u have a PC and a DM500 connected through the same 2 port router

Here, the ip of your PC maybe 192.168.1.X and the ip of your DM maybe be 192.168.1.XX (can be known by IPScanner program with the range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254)

Here it is very easy to record from your PC by WinGrab by entering the ip of the DM (192.168.1.XX) and start recording (without any password)

Now u changed your mind and don't want your DM to stream to your PC (You want to prevent WinGrab from recording from your DM to your PC but don't know how!?)... That was my Question

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
You've already been given the most sensible solution, get a router and stick it between your LAN and the communal network.

I've you've got your PC on this communal network, recording from the Dreambox should be the least of your worries. How about recording your usernames/passwords as your browsing the web along with a host of other security issues!! This could be done very easily by someone on the shared network.

shnsqr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
Hp Pavilion DV4 1135EE
My Location
Bahrain
compufunk said:
You've already been given the most sensible solution, get a router and stick it between your LAN and the communal network..

I already tried this solution by sticking a "Hub" between the LAN and the network but the IP of the DM did not change! is it differ if I use a router instead of the hub?

compufunk said:
I've you've got your PC on this communal network, recording from the Dreambox should be the least of your worries. How about recording your usernames/passwords as your browsing the web along with a host of other security issues!! This could be done very easily by someone on the shared network.

Do u mean that other users of the communal network can have access to my browsing passwords if i didn't use the router in between of the LAN and the network? if yes, how they can?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
shnsqr said:
I already tried this solution by sticking a "Hub" between the LAN and the network but the IP of the DM did not change! is it differ if I use a router instead of the hub?
A hub is no use in this situation, you need a router to create a seperate network and a bridge between them.

You could achieve this using a PC with two network cards, but a router would be a better solution.
Do u mean that other users of the communal network can have access to my browsing passwords if i didn't use the router in between of the LAN and the network? if yes, how they can?
Yes, with a little know how they could. Using a router would not necessarily prevent this. Not without setting up some advanced features which might not be available in cheaper models. It would be a step in the right direction though.

It would stop anyone directly accessing your PC or Dreambox.

shnsqr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
Hp Pavilion DV4 1135EE
My Location
Bahrain
compufunk said:
A hub is no use in this situation, you need a router to create a seperate network and a bridge between them.

You could achieve this using a PC with two network cards, but a router would be a better solution.

Yes, with a little know how they could. Using a router would not necessarily prevent this. Not without setting up some advanced features which might not be available in cheaper models. It would be a step in the right direction though.

It would stop anyone directly accessing your PC or Dreambox.

Last final question, should i configure the new router with the same configuration of the main router?
Thank u very much for ur help. I will try the router solution and tell u the result soon...

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
shnsqr said:
Last final question, should i configure the new router with the same configuration of the main router?
In short no.

There is no quick answer to your question. Basically you should have a range of addresses for your private lan that are different to your communal lan. If your communal lan were 192.168.1.x then your private lan would need to be different, i.e. 192.168.2.x . Your private router should be set up to forward all traffic to the communal router (it being the default gateway).

To achieve this you need a router that has the capability of routing between two Ethernet networks i.e has a bridge/uplink Ethernet port, not just a regular (A)DSL router.