question regarding about CAM & viacess cards

Hello everyone

i want to subscribe to one of the channels on hotbird. i have a digital receiver (DigiSat) and it has a slot for one card. some channels require CAM ( i have no clue about CAM) and i am not sure if the receiver i have support that. my question is do i need to buy CAM and the card to view the channel or just the card.
i would really appreciate it if someone can explain to me.

thanks

kungpo

My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
Hi there - I don't know about your receiver capabilities, but the answer is fairly straightforward. If you receiver has a slot for a smart card, then it probably has some knid of embedded decryption technology, such as viacess, or one of the others. If it has one or more slots for a CAM module (similar in size to a PCMCIA card), then you will need one of these as well as a smart card. Which one of these will depend on what, if any, embedded common access you receiver alreasy has. If none, then you will need a viaccess CAM, and the appropriate viewing card (assuming the chanels you want are using viaccess). You can get special CAMs which can emulate several different encryption technologies, such as a magic, matrix or dragon cam. You will need to delve further to get a better explanation as to what these cams can give you.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

kungpo said:
Hi there - I don't know about your receiver capabilities, but the answer is fairly straightforward. If you receiver has a slot for a smart card, then it probably has some knid of embedded decryption technology, such as viacess, or one of the others. If it has one or more slots for a CAM module (similar in size to a PCMCIA card), then you will need one of these as well as a smart card. Which one of these will depend on what, if any, embedded common access you receiver alreasy has. If none, then you will need a viaccess CAM, and the appropriate viewing card (assuming the chanels you want are using viaccess). You can get special CAMs which can emulate several different encryption technologies, such as a magic, matrix or dragon cam. You will need to delve further to get a better explanation as to what these cams can give you.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
Thanks for the explination. it really helps.

mnadeem

hi
what about if you also say about my need like this first..... radix dt-43 vaci
software version DT-43S V1.0.00
firmware V1.2.1-1614SA
Terminal serial number 34-1-0001469
Viaccess version 1.1 R 484
terminal application 1000.121
what kind of viacces receiver is that not reading any kinds of cards )(-red

loftyj

Never heard of this reciver, but it looks as if it might be a STB for a cable company or other provider that will only work with a card supplied by them.