quick question - Freesat from Sky card

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1980s 1.5m offset dish, single output black ultra on a homemade sturdy mount, getting all channels 24/7 from sky with a pace digibox but no subscription so only bbc1,2 itv etc.
My Location
Sante Eulalia, Ibiza,Spain
having tried phoning sky, trawling the web...just a quick one.
my freesat white card is active in one box, can I pop it into another box and it will work or do I need to contact sky to ok it? Free stuff only, no package.
Thanks in advance.

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1980s 1.5m offset dish, single output black ultra on a homemade sturdy mount, getting all channels 24/7 from sky with a pace digibox but no subscription so only bbc1,2 itv etc.
My Location
thanks Analogue

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It'll PROBABLY work.

If it's a genuine Freesat From $ly (FSFS) card then yes. But if it's an expired subscription card it may not. I have a collection of over half a dozen white cards and only ONE card will work. The fact that yours is already working is a good sign.

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cheers, yep its genuine and has only been used for ftv, should be fine.

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ok, should have probably researched this a bit more, have just bought a used sky plus box, the guy that sold it to me thinks that to use the recording facility I will need a package, all I want is the freesat. Is this true? I only want to use it about 2 months of the year so a package is a bit of a waste.

shamonee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox S9 receiver
My Location
midlands
Yes you need a sky subscription for the sky+ recording functions or a trusty VHS recorder haha

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The only way to use the recording facility of a $ly+ box is to pay $ly every month.

And it gets worse. When you stop paying, any and all recodings on the hard disc, EVEN THE FTA ONES, are no longer available to you.

If recording is a prime requirement then you should look at a Freesat + box which has a built-in hard disc. Personally I have a Foxsat HDR which I, and most others who have one, find excellent but there are other brands now available.

mikie8

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000
Diablo wifi
dgstation 200s+ modded to 64Mb
Gibbertini 1.2M Channel Master feedhorn Inverto white
Fibo 90Cm fibo motor inverto white
85cm generic 2600 TM , black ultra
Superjack dp6600
Pace Mss-500
My Location
dagenham
there is a firmware hack to allow recording on fta channels with no sub but it only works on one box model .

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
A Pace 2200 to be exact.

-http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/175616-jtag-pace-2200-a.html

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gosh, I'd forgoten about that.

But who woould want to run a Pace 2200 nowadays? (BTW, that link is not for the conversion)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
This is the commercial offering _http://www.cielplus.com/

and this is a hobbyist's musings on the project _http://u1061771158.freehostia.com/pvr.html

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
the box i bought is a pace tds470n, so guessing I can't hack it. Freesat is no good to me as my sat stuff is in Ibiza and picking up most of my channels from the south beam. Perhaps a vcr is an option!

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Sorry, meant to post this.
-http://www.steves-homepage.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1210113159

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
possible solution?? A friend has a sky subscription, could they get a second card to use in 'another room' that I could then 'borrow'?

rewdan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
just realised that is stupid, we would all have a friend with a subscription and getting our tv for free, feel like I am grasping at straws!