reasonably priced PVR

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025+ 500GB, 85cm transparent dish on motor, 50Mbit line, Czech Link
My Location
East coast UK
Hi everyone,

I would like to purchase some reasonably priced PVR box, I would prefer it to be just PVR ready so I can add my own HD. Ideally I would like it to have cryptoworks card reader, couple of CI slots and a USB. I have seen the Manhattan 350, 550 and Fortecstar Ultimate but neither has cryptoworks, is it possible to “do” anything to them to use them with CW card without a cam? Also are they any good? Any other receivers I should consider?

Thanks for any advice

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Take a look at the Dreambox section.

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East coast UK
I think that the DB may be too much for me as I am a newbie. I would prefer a receiver which is easy to use which I don’t think DB is. Furthermore it cost considerably more. What about the two above mentioned receivers? Are they any good?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I can't remember seeing a PVR with embedded Cryptoworks, or any other encryption for that matter. How about this one, all you would need would be a Cryptoworks CAM.

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East coast UK
Hmmm, looks nice but at 300£ plus 50 for CI I would rather get the DM even thou I would probably loose rest of my hair trying to set it up.

The Manhattan 350 has embedded Irdeto and 2CI @ £169 and the Fortecstar Ultimate has Conax and 2CI @ £149, both have USB. Would they be any good?

I guess the only way to get Cryproworks is a cam?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't know about those two, have tried neither, but not a lover of Manhattan products.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
The Fortec doesn't have much support (official or otherwise) the USB connection is apparently USB2 but it takes forever to upload/download even mp3 files, let alone video! And the software I used to accomplish that was actually meant for a Pansat receiver!

I'd imagine the only way to get Cryptoworks is via a CAM.

If you can get it cheap enough then it isn't a bad model IMHO but then it is not great either. It does have picture-in-picture which is good. It also has very flexible ways of hooking up the two tuner feeds (you can have two completely different DiSEqC dish setups going into each tuner and then for each sat you can tell it to look for tuner 1, tuner 2 or 'auto'). And the tuner pulls in weak signals better than my SkyStar1, SkyStar2, Comag PortyII or Lifetime Diamond.

One bad thing to note (and it's the same on my Diamond) the Ultimate manages to corrupt the channel lists if I delete certain channels. Solution seems to be not to delete channels - not a great solution when you end up having hundreds of useless channels! To be fair this could be because my Fortec's are patched, I don't know.

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East coast UK
Thank you very much for that response.

It would be great to hear something similar about the Manhattan 350/550 from someone.

Thanks

peppey

Reaction score
I recently got from techplaza.nl a Topfield 4000 PVR 259 euros,good machine

jianguo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky box
Hayupage PVR350
My Location
UK
peppey said: