harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
One dish 1.5cm with 3 LNBs picking up Hotbird,Arabsat,Astra
old Echostar receiver, GlobalStar 6000i
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
Hi all,

my receiver is now being naughty and keeps switching itself ON and OFF all the time, so I guess it is kaput. It has been a good buy, one of those Lidle receivers (Silverscrest) which I purchased too many years ago now to remember. Never gave me any trouble that was not operator caused.

It need to be replaced, so where do I start? I have a large dish (1.5) for picking up Arabsat and Nilesat, which receiver would you recommend?

Thanks
:)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
harrowwoman said:
my receiver is now being naughty and keeps switching itself ON and OFF all the time, so I guess it is kaput. It has been a good buy, one of those Lidle receivers (Silverscrest) which I purchased too many years ago now to remember. Never gave me any trouble that was not operator caused.

It need to be replaced, so where do I start? I have a large dish (1.5) for picking up Arabsat and Nilesat, which receiver would you recommend?
Well, what do you need it to do? :) PVR, pay cards, dual tuner? Presumably your dish is motorized.

harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
hairybadger said:
Well, what do you need it to do? :) PVR, pay cards, dual tuner? Presumably your dish is motorized.
Thanks for your reply,
No need for pay cards, just want the usual FTA channels, dish is not motorised but has three LNBs not sure what 'dual tuner' is, I just watch the arabic FTA channels and MBCs

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
harrowwoman said:
Thanks for your reply,
No need for pay cards, just want the usual FTA channels, dish is not motorised but has three LNBs not sure what 'dual tuner' is, I just watch the arabic FTA channels and MBCs
You're welcome :) Dual tuner means that your receiver can tune into two different channels at once, even if they're on different satellites. You'd want to do this so that you can record one thing and watch another. OK - so you have three LNBs, presumably you have a Diseqc switch. Most modern receivers support this (my CanalSAT box doesn't :) ). I have an Openbox S10 - this is single tuner but can record to an external USB device; this is a bit outdated however. Quite a few people on here have had good experiences with the Skybox F3 / M3 (pretty much the same thing but the M3 is a bit more recent and smaller). Again, it's single tuner but would probably do what you want it to do and has the advantage of being relatively cheap. I have no direct experience of it myself!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Several of us own the Skybox F3, which is a decent enough receiver - apart from the timekeeping of the internal clock which is abysmal

Available from sellers for about 50 quid.

For a bit more there are assorted Technomates, &TM have always been a decent enough brand.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, I'd recommend a Skybox F3 as well .............. you have HD, PVR features (External USB or HDD) and it produces a great picture and is fairly easy to drive.

And cheap!

Edit: I really must buck up!

harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
hairybadger said:
You're welcome :) Dual tuner means that your receiver can tune into two different channels at once, even if they're on different satellites. You'd want to do this so that you can record one thing and watch another. OK - so you have three LNBs, presumably you have a Diseqc switch. Most modern receivers support this (my CanalSAT box doesn't :) ). I have an Openbox S10 - this is single tuner but can record to an external USB device; this is a bit outdated however. Quite a few people on here have had good experiences with the Skybox F3 / M3 (pretty much the same thing but the M3 is a bit more recent and smaller). Again, it's single tuner but would probably do what you want it to do and has the advantage of being relatively cheap. I have no direct experience of it myself!
Thanks HairyB
I had a look on Ebay for the Skybox F3 and there is now an F4, says it updated the F3, and a dongle for F3/F4/F5 so I wonder if there is also a newer version F5, will keep on searching! I am in no hurry are I have two other rooms with receivers for now if I need to watch something. I like to check out the movies on MBC Max/MBC2/MBC4 etc some of them are really ancient, but sometimes a good one comes up.Dubai 1 also has movies and as I like world music I watch that too. Appreciate your help.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
There is an F5, yes: One of our Members has just reported acquiring one.

Have a look at our HD Receivers: Skybox Section where there is a growing wealth of material.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
harrowwoman said:
Thanks HairyB
I had a look on Ebay for the Skybox F3 and there is now an F4, says it updated the F3, and a dongle for F3/F4/F5 so I wonder if there is also a newer version F5, will keep on searching! I am in no hurry are I have two other rooms with receivers for now if I need to watch something. I like to check out the movies on MBC Max/MBC2/MBC4 etc some of them are really ancient, but sometimes a good one comes up.Dubai 1 also has movies and as I like world music I watch that too. Appreciate your help.
If you are motorised have a look at Salahaddin TV on 21.5E - a nice strong signal & movies in English around 2200 uk time. Arabic subtitles on the films but thats a minor uinconvenience

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Analoguesat said:
If you are motorised have a look at Salahaddin TV on 21.5E - a nice strong signal & movies in English around 2200 uk time. Arabic subtitles on the films but thats a minor uinconvenience
Hmmm that's the second mention of 21.5E I've seen recently. I may have to repurpose the LNB currently pointing at 23.5 to have a look :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders

A nonymous

Reaction score
I have a free Nokia mediamaster 9500s running DVB2000 that you can have for nowt as long as you pay for the postage.

It was given to me for free by Aceb, so i thought it fitting to return the favour to any other member here. I can get it posted for about £6 with Hermes or Collect+. If you want it let me know

Nano

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Try scanning without moving it - at least 2 of us get both together
I'd already moved it by the time I'd read this, and anyway I struggle to even get 9E and 10E on a single LNB :) I can never find anything that's of much interest that's FTA on 23.5, anyway. OK - so the transponder list on my Openbox wasn't very up to date, but in plugging in the TPs listed on lyngsat manually I can get most of the channels although nothing on 10982H. Ignoring doubles (Afak shows up on two different TPs) that's 11 channels. Now all I have to do is learn Arabic...

harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
nano said:
I have a free Nokia mediamaster 9500s running DVB2000 that you can have for nowt as long as you pay for the postage.

It was given to me for free by Aceb, so i thought it fitting to return the favour to any other member here. I can get it posted for about £6 with Hermes or Collect+. If you want it let me know

Nano
Thank you Nano, how very kind of you. I would like to take up the offer is there any way that we can exchange details?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
harrowwoman said:
Thank you Nano, how very kind of you. I would like to take up the offer is there any way that we can exchange details?

There is a Private Message facility - just hover over (or click on) nano's User ID.