Receiver says dish is moving when it isnt and doesnt need to

kaliper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm dish, tecnomate tm 2200 motor, technomate 16002ci receiver
My Location
irvine, scotland, uk
I have had a problem with my system recently and get the message no reception or bad signal. When I switch the system on with the remote it says dish moving to Astra etc, but it isnt and doesnt need to as thats where it was when I switched it off, but there is just no signal and dish hasnt moved and wont move when I try to change satellites. My Receiver is a Technomate 1600 2ci and tonight I tried again and low and behold it worked for about 30 mins and while I was changing channels I got the same message again no reception/bad signal and no pic, dish moving etc but the dish will not move, but had done 30 mins before when I could get a signal and it changed to another satellite ok and back. Is my LNB faulty or the software in the receiver? Can anybody shed a light on this please.

Les

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you tried sending the dish to reference point, it may just be confused.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The receiver thinks the dish needs to move because it hasn't got a signal.

The Diseqc communication to the motor is one way, the only way it knows when it has got there is that it has got a signal.

There couls be many reasons for your problem, the usual, LNB fault, cable problem, dish out of alignment etc etc.

Does the dish actually move at all ever?

I would suspect a dodgy cable fault to start with.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Check the cable terminations and reset the motor.
Any idea what motor is it also?

kaliper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
irvine, scotland, uk
I think its a technomate h-h tm 2200 motor, but i'm a real beginner here and I didnt install it, though I bought the equipment, and i havent a clue what you mean by resetting the motor, but I thank you for your advice

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I had a problem with one of those, thought it was the receiver, but turned out to be the motor, sometimes it moved, others it wouldn't, not even by manually sending it east or West. Repalced it with a Fortecstar turner and the setup worked fine.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Just in case the motor isn't at fault; try a reset in DiSEqC 1.2>Motor Control>Reset System with a TM receiver.

Reboot the receiver after and then goto to USALS and send dish to reference.

After, try to move to other satellites and see :)

kaliper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
irvine, scotland, uk
i did a factory restore setting and still it doesnt pick up anything, dish hasnt moved as its on end of house and I hear it move, so it will be pointing at last setellite before it stopped working, I will need to get the cable checked at the motor end and see if that has come loose though dont know how it could come loose

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes it's not uncommon for a loose cable connection on the 'receiver' port of the motor :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
When I first installed a new motorised dish as a novice, I didn't chop off enough of the bolts that hold the dish to the motor, nor did I clip the cable out of the way. After a random number of turns, the cable snagged one of the bolts and ripped the conection to the motor apart. Something approaching that situation could have occured.

kaliper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
irvine, scotland, uk
i'll give it a check tomorrow I did try to move the cable as I can reach it will a pole from my upstairs window and it does seem loose in comparison to the other cable going into the motor which is solid, so it may have well worked itself loose, many thanks for all your advice and speedy response

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
I would switch it all off until you have checked all the cables. There has been some really bad rain recently too - could be a joint with water in it.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
We know we know it might be a cable fault, but if it's a short he might end up frying something while he's trying this and that.. and do you know if kaliper knows not to touch f connectors with it all switched on?

kaliper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
irvine, scotland, uk
its ok i'll make sure it all switched off before I touch anything on the motor, many thanks. its too wet at the moment to do anything with it and its he last thing I want is a short, ive got it all off at the moment until I get chance to get up and have a look at it.