EmielR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1500 CI+
Sky+
My Location
Cheltenham, UK
Hi all,

Dutchman living in the UK looking for some advise.
I've currently got a simple technomate 1500 CI+ receiver, which I use with my Dutch CanalDigitaal card (Seca Mediaguard) to catch some (occasional) tv from "back home".
I've been happy with this setup for 18 months, but I'm now exploring the options to replace the 1500 with a receiver that has a built-in PVR.

What I'd like advise on is what the "budget options" are in this area. I just want to do do basic watch & record (including pause/timeslip). I have no desire for patching or using other cards etc etc. I really only use it for the dutch channels I pay for, and nothing else (in fact, I wouldn't even really require a twin tuner).

Any help in sifting through the options would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Emiel

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Have you considered a DVD recorder with HDD instead?
This way you don't need to change the receiver and can make DVD discs directly for content that you would like to keep.
I have a Dreambox 7000S with HDD, but I find it a lot more convenient to record to a DVD recorder with hard disk.

jphili

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin monoblock and twin LNB on 80cm transparant dish rigged for twin reception from HB Astra 1 and 2 + TopField TF 7700 HDPVR + TwinHan VisionDTV
My Location
BE
For digital satellite I prefer a receiver with HDD over a DVD recorder. It's true that you have to be more tech savvy to archive a recording to DVD, but then again, you get a recording with 0% quality loss. You record exactly what you receive and with some, that includes the subtitles if you like.

After using a Kaon 570 for some time, I've recently upgraded to a Topfield TF7700 HDPVR.
The Kaon did it's job for SD, but it was a bit picky with regards to overheating when using it with a HDD. It was possible to use a flash card adapter instead as well, but not with time-shift. The flash-card was handy to offload content from it, but again not all cards worked.

The Topfield is great for everything FTA and that includes the DVB-S2 (HD) transmissions. Picture quality on BBC HD is awesome. It does still have some issues though, particularly when working with CAMs. But even without the next firmware that's supposedly due for this week, it is already an OK PVR.

EmielR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1500 CI+
Sky+
My Location
Cheltenham, UK
Thanks guys. The reason I wanted it combined with the Sat receiver is that it makes it easier to record a few things from different channels, also I already have a DVD recorder (without HDD) and hardly ever store stuff on disc anyway.
I'll have a look at the topfield (I hadn't planned on getting a HD one, but I suppose I might as well get ready for when I "go HD").
If anybody has any further options/experiences I'd be happy to hear!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
You can consider Dreambox 600 pvr (you need to install HDD inside or buy it with)