Newbie Here Receiving BBC(and UK FTA TV) in northen Italy

SuperGiachi567

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Regular SKY Italia dish, don't know radius
My Location
Padova
Hi, i'm new to this topic, i'd like to receive UK FTA TV in Italy(Padova, north-east of Italy). i currently have a SKY dish on my roof, and never tried to use it as a non-sky dish. I'd like to know if this setup is decent enough to receive those channels

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I'd like to know if this setup is decent enough to receive those channels
Hi! Welcome to the Forum. It would be more understandable if you show couple of pictures of your setup.

A

archive10

Hi, i'm new to this topic, i'd like to receive UK FTA TV in Italy(Padova, north-east of Italy). i currently have a SKY dish on my roof, and never tried to use it as a non-sky dish. I'd like to know if this setup is decent enough to receive those channels
Adding to what @RimaNTSS writes, you will need to understand that the BBC FTA channels are shared with the Sky subscriptions, so that they use the one and the same dish set-up.
The FTA channels are protected not by Scrambling (as with the dedicated Sky channels), but with a narrow-footprint beam.
So receiving the BBC/ITV/etc FTA channels can be a challenge in North Italy.

A standard Sky dish may receive Sky channels such as Sky Sports from the Europe-wide beams, but will not be sufficient to receive BBC/ITV/etc.
To receive the FTA channels, you need a larger dish, probably in the range of 180cm or similar.
Are you willing/interested/allowed to put such a dish on the roof?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Northern Italy is in a very poor signal strength area for the BBC & ITV channels - have a look at the map in my sig for typical signal dish sizes

Basically forget anything under 1.8m - possibly MUCH bigger required!

itchybag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1 stab motor with VU+ SOLO 4k, dm800, prof 7500
My Location
earth
27.5w satbackup is worth a look but note they are encrypted

Eusebius Punz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefrontier 30" W - 28,2" E
My Location
Oberndorf

Eusebius Punz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Oberndorf
Now i see: You are in the first null. This means you get Signal close to 26db. For 9 db SNR you Need a 4 meter dish.

SuperGiachi567

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Padova
Thx for the quick replies, will post some pics this afternoon. So i need a large dish, right?. Is there any other legal way to watch those channels without having to replace my dish?. And if i wanted to replace my dish, how much money would that cost?
BTW are those channels protected for copyright reasons or for other reasons?

Eusebius Punz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Oberndorf
BBC Satback on INTELSAT 27,5 West is an alternative but it´s scrambled, works only with Special Receiver and nobody knows how long it lasts. The expected livetime is reached in spring this year. With maybe a 85 cm, better 1 m dish you can get this bird in your area. For some Information read this: Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West
Intelsat 907 at 27.5 West - BBC SATBACK - UK TV Spain - Sky TV Spain - Freesat Spain - IPTV Spain - British TV Spain - English TV Spain - The Sat and PC Guy
BBC-SATBACK – Astra 2 Sat
Intelsat 27.5°W 907 Freeview BBC pack - BBC One HD, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, BBC HD, ITV 1 HD, Channel 4 HD - PiXieSAT
Maybe a VPN for about 10 Euros is an alternative.

SuperGiachi567

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Padova
Which receiver do i need to watch channels on Intelsat 27,5 west? Is this legal?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No its not legal - those transmission are not designed for home consumption - they are the backup feeds to the UK transmitter network.

Its reasonably easy to open them though. Thousands of expats in Spain are using it. HOWEVER - seeing as the BBC is under increasing year on year pressure to cut costs with massive cuts being applied to budgets dont be surprised if the 27.5W signals are discontinued at some point

SuperGiachi567

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Padova
So the only way to get those channels is to install a 180-240cm dish in my roof and hope that the signal is ok?
BTW i'm closer to Vicenza than Padova, if this makes any difference

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You have already been advised a couple of posts up you are more likely looking at a 4m+ dish. Possibly bigger - it all depends exactly on the signal strength at your location. Unless you have several 10's of thousands of € to throw at it ( with no guarantee of success) you have 3 options

1) give up
2) go the illegal route & try 27.5W
3) use an on line service (all of which are of dubious legality)

MarkW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Galaxy,IBU single,Technomate 5402M3
My Location
Jesi,Italy
Which receiver do i need to watch channels on Intelsat 27,5 west? Is this legal?
Mine is easy to setup for 27.5W a Technomate 5402 M3 .I believe the M1 has a more sensitive tuner(you can get them on E-bay sometimes).I'd go for a good lnb like the Inverto Black Ultra single .As for dish size,I agree with what's been said above,maybe 85cm will work.A 1m would be be better.Cheers

SuperGiachi567

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Padova
Ok so will probably give up, haven't got 10k euros to throw at it. What if i point my small dish to Astra 28.2 and try to receive the european beam?
Any way to know the signal strenght?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You should be fine with the European beams. However much of the content is encrypted & the fta stuff really is of limited interest unless you like shopping, religion or Asian channels!

Eusebius Punz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Oberndorf
It´s illegal to open scrambled channel and watch. But the other side is you can´t subscribe the satback Service.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
There are a few channels, on the European beam, that might be of interest, including:
Movies 4 Men, Talking Pictures TV, CNN International, and a couple of news channels, unfortunately, for you, most of the others have now moved to UK spot beams, including the Horror channel, and CBS channels, check the link, for Astra 2 channels:
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Personally I view mainly 19.2E, even though I live in the UK, and haven't bothered with any British Television for many years.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France